• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Keyboard keys stick in games

Rap Dog

Hello everybody. Since I upgraded to Service Pack 3 (WinXP), I've been having some issues regarding my keyboard. I must notice that when I upgraded to SP3, I also upgraded my whole CPU.

Whenever I'm playing, sometimes the keys .. "stick", but not physically. Example: I'm playing Battlefield 2, and I'm moving around as usual, but then I release the left key, and my character keeps going to the left, when the key itself is in it's idle position. I need to press once again left to "unbug" the character.

It happens with different frequencies. Although it's not constant, it does happens a moderate ammount of times whenever I'm playing.

For some reason, this doesn't seems to happen in Windows (Messenger for example)

My specs are:

Asus P5k-E
Sapphire Radeon HD3870x2
Intel Quad Core 2.4 @ 3.2 (Q6600)
Hitachi HDD 500gb
Corsair XMS 4gb dual channel
Genius SlimStar keyobard PS/2

Hope anyone can help me. Thanks in advance!

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86
Are you sure sticky keys is off? It's an annoying feature they started adding in XP to help with keys sticking.
Also is your keyboard physically clean? If the button is jammed that would cause the same problem. Also another problem is the rubber/silicon contact could be stuck to the PCB

Rap Dog

Hello. I tried unselecting the sticky keys feature, but the problem remains.

Also, I wouldn't bet on the keyboard itself being the problem. Just 2 months ago it worked just fine with my old pc, and it kept like that for around 4 years!

I will take a look to the contacts, and while I'm at it, clean this keyboard a bit.

jarheadalex

Me to

I have the EXACT same problem as you, its a shame u didn't have the awnser though. but it's not a phisical problem, when i play either half life 2 or bioshock when i let go of a key it carrys on until i tap it or it times out.

this is on my brand new laptop with vista.
and it really gets on my nerves when im trying to lean over an egde and it makes me run off.

homer79

Hi folks.

I've had the same problem, Ive got a wireless microsoft + mouse combo USB. But my m8 had the same problem with his system as well
I found the problem went away both time when I plugged the receiver/ keyboard into a powered USB hub. Hope you solve your problem.
I don't know if it is a power issue, or if the hub buffers the information in some way. either way it worked for me

Regards
homer

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
two people have this bug on non wireless, and ones a laptop. USB hubs wont do it.

I suggest you quit any and all applications in the background - it could be an antivirus or something doing it. You sure its not just net lag, too? make sure you test it locally, host your own games.

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Curious, is caps lock on? I had a problem like this with Doom3 back in the day and it was caps lock being on that pissed it off. How about numlock, or scroll lock?