1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

keyboard/mouse adapter help needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tater, Sep 29, 2007.

1. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a simple and very stupid question to ask. But does a USB to PS/2 adapter such as the one in this pic have to have both a keyboard and mouse attached at the same time to work properly?
    [​IMG]
  2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i dont believe so, many combos have one usb, others have 2.
  3. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    k. I am trying to move my desktop to a new place on my desk (in the pics of my stereo where the center is is where my desktop now is) but lucky me... my mouse and keyboard cables arent long enough and my mom wont let me drill a hole in the back of my computer desk the size of a nickel (that no one will ever see).. she says something about it being an $80 desk which i question because its 7 yrs old... lets see (places items on scale).. nickel size hole in 7 yr old "$80" desk that no one can see.... or burn up a $150 psu...
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go down to Home Depot, in the telephone/networking section; they have these (several sizes) of plastic "gromets" for just that purpose. After you drill the hole you install the 'gromet' and it keeps everything looking neat. You see these things everywhere, escpecially when you buy something at a store or shop. They are a common use thing when cords have to go through desktops or countertops. If you have an office supply store you can see them installed in the desks they sell there.

Maybe, if your mom sees that she will let you drill.

:toast:
  5. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    No see thats the point. im not allowed to drill a hole..what so ever.. so i gotta spend $20 of my money and i dont want to get the cables but i have to if i want to move my comp
  6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Show her the things I talked about installed in a desk at the office supply. The gromet only cost $3-$5. She just doesn't understand or maybe doesn't want YOU drilling the hole.
    I install these things all the time in my line of work. It's completly acceptable/standard proceedure for computer desks/casheir counters etc.
  7. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont think its she doesnt want me to drill the hole.. she trusted me to drill knob holes in doors...lol and she trusts me with a chain saw. idk ill just order the extensions
  8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i believe what he is saying is mom is the boss and he cannot drill a hole period!

try this extension cable, it should be better than what you were looking at.

http://www.vpi.us/cgi-bin/vpi/vvkint-6.html

they have longer ones if you need it.
  10. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not looking for extensions im looking for convertor. I am wasting money if i order 1 usb extension and 1 ps/2 extension. i might aswell buy a convertor and 2 usb extensions. Im gonna need the second when i get a new keyboard anyways

to be honest my mom doesnt have that much control over what i do..