1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kid wants an Xbox for Christmas

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sasqui, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    9 yr old want's an xbox for Christmas. I offered my 2nd PC, but for various reasons, that didn't fly. So I'm going to be doing some shopping prior to the season rush.

Question is what model and accessories to get with it... what model, wireless, HDD capacity, optical drive, controllers etc etc etc ? I haven't a clue what's the latest rage or up coming technology, is there an Xbox 540 coming out :rolleyes:?
  2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Sasqui says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do what parents do and get him an entirely different console and say "That's what you wanted, right?" when he opens it up. :laugh: (I do this with my niece and nephew all the time)

Seriously though, there's no new Xbox coming out this year, next year is doubtful as well as they just came out with Kinect (wii like motion sensing stuff).

This is the latest version: Microsoft Xbox 360 (New Design) 250 GB Hard Drive...

You may want to also get:
    -another controller
    -Xbox Live Membership Card (for online gaming)
    -HDMI cable (if needed, it's not included)
    -and of course, games.

Check at local retail outlets as they sometimes have nice bundles on sale. :toast:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    Sasqui says thanks.
  4. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    You can get the kinetic version for 100 bucks more which makes it motion control like wii as well.
  5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry about a new Xbox coming out, it won't be happening for a long while:http://www.gamespot.com/news/6211650.html

And as said, you could pick him up a nice 360 Slim, maybe an extra controller an some games. Kinect should also be coming out soon so if you want to get in on some motion control action you might want to get one of those.

There is a wide variety of bundles to pick from, so i say pick the one you can afford and that you think is best for him/her. Here's some:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...field-keywords=xbox 360&x=0&y=0&tag=tec06d-20
    Sasqui says thanks.
  6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I say box him up an Atari 2600 for giggles first, let him open that, make sure the camera is running:) Then hand him the Xbox360.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Well, at least I tried to sell him my second PC. He's dead set on the Xbox 360

^ thanks for the feedback. I recall seeing the "Slim" version, and the new motion sensing unit ...sounds like they're all coming out with some variant on them.

Haven't even started shopping around, will be doing that tonight.

Even better! LOL.
    digibucc says thanks.
  8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    There also the limited edition "Halo Reach" xbox on sale at the moment .. obviously will help IF he's a fan of Halo :toast:
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Not yet :laugh:

Are any aftermarket controllers better than others... or just go with stock? This will definietly be used for multiplayer - other kids on the block.
  10. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Meh... if your kid is around the teens then I'd suggest getting any controller he wants for himself (although if it's a surprise present that'll be a little hard to go about) but then I'd buy the cheapest kind I could find for the other kids on the block who may come round to play :laugh:
  11. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Just go with stock (which i prefer - they got the controllers right first time with the 360). The new xbox you've been linked to above comes with 1 black wireless controller. You will want to buy a play and charge kit for it - basically it comes needing AA batteries which you'll have to have spares in of in case it runs out in the middle of a game unless you buy the play and charge kit which has a rechargable battery pack you use instead of AA betteries and allows you to charge the controller from the USB in the console while you use it. Just make sure you get the right colour play and charge kit (my friend has a white controller with a black play and charge kit - it looks stupid with a black battery pack in a white controller :p

Depending on if online multiplayer is important (will they be playing online with friends who also have xboxes?) then a wireless headset may be a good little extra - they're rechargable through USB and are nicer to use than the standard wired headset which wires into the xbox controller.

If you will use it for watching DVDs, renting from netflix or using it to play media from your PC then the xbox remote control is also pretty good.

For you if you want to use either a controller or wireless headset from the xbox in your PC then you can buy a wireless receiver for windows which lets you connect the xbox peripherals to your pc - i use the wireless headset for voice comms when online gaming on my pc.
    Sasqui says thanks.
  12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Xbox360 having a 10-year lifespan doesn't mean that the next Xbox is coming in 2016. It can come tomorrow, and Xbox360 would still be sold, like Sony still sells its 10-year old PlayStation 2.
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    That's true too.
  14. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not true "too", but only true. You can't determine when the next generation of Xbox is coming based on what's Xbox360's market lifespan.
  15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Someone had mentioned the Netflix. What sort of video quality through the online services? Is it Wireless G through to your ISP???

Also regarding the DVD player, is XBox supporting any type of Blu ray player? I think they started with HD DVD and Sony had BD exclusively, is that still the case?
  16. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ya....
  17. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Tell him daddy's got no money, hence he will have to settle for a box with a "X" marked on it. And then offer him your second pc again :D
    driver66 says thanks.
  18. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Sadly I'm in the UK so I can't get netflix, so i can't say much for the quality - you can rent HD films through zune here in the UK though and that's pertty darned good (not quite bluray but still enough for me).

You have a 802.11b/g/n wireless card built into the new xboxes and that connects to your wireless router (it also has ethernet if you'd rather use wires) and streams directly over the internet.

As for blurays - not going to happen with the 360, maybe not with it's successor so it is DVDs only through the DVD drive. You can play some media formats (avi, wmv and some others - not sure on mkv) over the wireless from a pc or off a usb stick and those videos can be higher quality than dvd.
    Sasqui says thanks.
  19. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    No messing around, go straight for the 250GB model, also known as the Slim or S :rockout: It has a 250GB HDD (obviously), WiFi 'N' and 1 or 2 wireless control pads (depending on if you get a deal or not).
  20. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Read the first post?
    The kid is only 9 years old & the game is rated mature (17+) :shadedshu

Anyway i would buy the cheapest one , beside they all can play the same games anyway unless money is no problem for you?

Beside the kid may get tired after just a few weeks & will hardly play with the Xbox anymore... well you know kids sometimes... :rolleyes:
  21. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    woah pump the brakes santa isnt real?!
  22. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Maybe so, but it's never stopped um before. but in all fairness it depends on each owns personal parenting rules.
  23. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Shhhh...
  24. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Good info thanks... the plus is that BD players are cheap anyways. Still hard to beleive that MS hasn't ponied up the license fee to have them. But then again, I'm not a fan of Sony. I digress.
  25. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    :( :'(