1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kid wants an Xbox for Christmas

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sasqui, Sep 29, 2010.

1. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I started playing shooters at 9 years old and theres nothing wrong with me, just make sure you implement the xbox's parental control feature to limit his hours :)

Given the type of games that are generally the "best" for xbox 360, when your son says he wants an xbox, he means he want Halo... But maybe theres another game he really likes.

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Good suggestion on the 'rental controls!

I don't know if he's got Halo on his mind or not... I'm going to try and fish that one out of him.

3. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't really buy an XBOX unless I had to, because I have a hard time paying fees to play online. Just my personal opinion. If he has his heart set on XBOX, then no other will do. :)

I'll throw my vote in with everyone else as to the model and acc to buy with it. XBOX slim, one or two extra controllers. Wireless headset and xbox live card if he plans on playing online. The play n' charge kit is a good choice, or you can get a AA battery charger and some NiMH rechargables and it works too. Downside is you can't charge while playing so you need enough batteries to have one set charging while you're using another set.

<semi-ontopic>
    PS3 has PS+ which is subscription, but not needed to play online. XBOX needs a subscription to play online whatsoever. Without XBOX Live he'll be limited to local multiplayer. Be sure you explain that XBOX live will be coming out of his "fixed income".

Blu-ray is a nice feature of the PS3, and PS3 has been rated as one of the best players (most up-to date on BR features, good performance, etc.)

Like you said, BR players are cheap. Just make sure if you're getting one to research it first. BR is an expandable system by design, and it's up to the manufacturer to keep their players compatible with newer BR features via firmware updates.

<not a PS3 endorsement, just info. Fanboy pre-emptive strike :cool:>

Off topic...
    <UNRELIABLE>
    Microsoft is selling (or sold?) the rights to the Halo franchise. Good chance that Reach will be the last XBOX exclusive Halo. Bad idea or does M$ have an ace in the hole? :confused:

Personally wouldn't mind halo on PS3. Wish it was enough to have a PC and a console. Darn exclusives, got to have all the consoles plus a PC if you want all the best games :ohwell:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    not to drag this off-topic but I'm going to want to see a source for that. MS has most definately not said they will sell the halo franchise (it makes way too much money in game sales and hardware sales). They have let bungie become independant again but are using internal studios to develop more halo games (Microsoft are keeping ownership of the halo name and franchise). Halo: Reach is definately NOT the last halo game on xbox 360 (that much is confirmed - and it will be an xbox only game too).

5. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft didn't sell the rights to Halo, they spun off Bungie as an independent and they retained the rights to Halo as part of the deal.

Then Bungie went right out and signed a 10 year contract with Activision.
    :(

6. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Never said Reach would be last on XBOX. Said it might be last EXCLUSIVE. Either way, nothing more than speculation.

As for the rest: that was secondhand. Could be I misinterpereted the info. Don't care enough to dig for sources :laugh: As of now consider it heresay and hence unreliable.

You have my apologies.

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. k0rn_h0li0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    forever saved in my profile.

i say get him the cheapest one you can find. doesn't have to be a slim. mm its true xbox 360 really doesn't have a lot of G games out :/

Solaris17 says thanks.
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    And when did they do that? I upgraded mine to a 7200 rpm drive and it's working fine.

10. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm I don't know about over the pond, but those Atari's are classic's and worth every penny of what the seller is asking, plus a fair share more!

That's a bargain at that price IMO. ($39.99 for those of you who don't want to click the link ;))

11. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I never said they did that to HDDs but they did it to some unofficial memory cards which accepted micro sd cards for memory storage (they disabled the ability to use the cards completely). They also insta-ban any 360 running a non-stock DVD drive, which is the same principal as running a non-stock HDD.

I'll also put in my 2 cents on why to buy a 360s over an older version - it's a lot quieter, has built-in wifi (the old versions need a wifi adapter which is sold seperately for quite a bit of $$), the new model has a lot more USB ports (which is good with kinect needing a usb port on older models - combined with the wifi adapter for older models taking up a usb and a play and charge kit leaves no usb ports free at all on old models). Plus using less power and generating less heat are also bonuses of the slim over the old version.

12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I believe you... Microsuck at their finest.

13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Som possibly useful information...

The new "sleek" Xbox 360 does not have a removable hard drive, for what it's worth. Don't know if that means you can't upgrade. It does mean you can't pull it out and go slap it into another unit.

I was told by a store clerk the older Xbox 360 (pre-black "sleek" one) is not cabable of connecting the Kinect, or at least will need some special adapter.

Other than the Kinect issue, any downside to getting a previous generation XBox 360 (the plain white one?) I saw a Final Fantasy bundle marked down from $399 to $299, BNIB. Came with two controllers, the game and a headset.

14. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    With any Xbox, old or new; you cannot just slap any HD and be off. When building them and I even just put one in a "sleeK" 4gb model without issues, before being able to use it you have to format with the Xbox systems S/N. Once you format and put in the S/N info your ready to play.

I thought the Kinect just plugged into a USB port and you may need to update the Xbox Dash in order to use it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    What on earth are they on about?? You can remove the HDD from the new 'slim' model (new XBOX 360, S, whatever they want to call it) and put another one in. But it will have to be an officially licensed MS HDD (when they release them above 250GB).

The old style XBOX will work just fine with Kinect when it comes out. But it will be connected via USB, not the special Kinect port on the back of the new slim model.

You need to shop in better stores. Stores where they actually know what they are on about ;)

When TS gets a 360, he needs to make sure its either a new S 250GB model or at the very least an old style model thats has the Jasper setup with a 150w PSU.

16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ok, it was Wal Mart. :laugh: The white special edition Xbox had a picture of a removable hard drive enclosure, the black supposedly doesn't have it, according to the 88 yr old I was talking to (joking, it was a young chick who seemed to have a clue).

What is a Jasper setup and how do I know?

Did some searching.... I read the Kinect needs more power via USB than the older versions could supply, so it'll come with an external power supply to plug when used with a previous ver Xbox 360.

17. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    LOL :roll:

If you go for an older model, or phat version, you have to make sure its a recent model (try to steer clear of 2nd hand systems), like a late 2009 or 2010 model so you know you have the Jasper chipset model. These were/are far more reliable than the older models (ie Xenon, Falcon etc) ;)

Yeah, if you have a slim, the kinect plugs directly into it, but if your using it on an old model, you do need more juice :D

Sasqui says thanks.
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If I can find a link to the system, I'll post it.

Wondering if I should just pre-order the Kinect bundle for $399. The Kinect alone is supposed to be priced around $150 (a LOT)

Edit: Listing at buy.com for less than that, here it is: http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAA#

19. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    So... I just read the new "Slim" Xbox360 has WiFi built in, where the versions before needed a WiFi adapter for an extra $100. Anyone confirm this?

20. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    yeah they do..

21. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    They sure do although the adapter is $100 for the N version and $79 for the G version (I think, could be wrong, I know when they first came out the G adapters were $100 and I got mine used for $60 or so).

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's a no-brainer then. Going with the slim...

23. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Good choice. Dont bother messing around with old models :D The wireless N on the slim is good, so Ive heard ;)

24. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    wtf.. my parents been doing this to me when I was a child! lol.. after knowing this tactic, looks like they were doing it on purpose after all! lol. (Wanted a gameboy back then, and they gave a tetris handheld instead wtf)