• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EDIT

Hi, ive decided to build myself a big desk from cheap laminate kitchen counters. Need some advice for some parts, but have most of it mapped out in my head. The house i live in is a 1930s interwar house with solid brick indoor walls, no drywalls.

Check list
  • 2200mm worktop surface
  • End panel
  • Masonry drill bit
  • Drill
  • Heavy weight brackets.
  • Probe for testing for live wires
  • Wood for strapping

I'm going to strap one end to a corner with some wood fixed to the wall and the other end will be supported by an end panel joined to the worktop. Should i use some brackets to support the middle of the worktop? I was thinking so. I can get 200kg rated brackets which should be enough. I'm guessing 2 or 3 brackets would be enough with the wood and end panel supporting.

To secure the wood and the brackets i will use a masonry bit to drill a hole into the wall (appropriate sizes of course).

Fasteners and anchors is where i need advice, i do not know which to use and the appropriate screws.

Handily i have my brothers battery powered drill and also a mains powered drill with masonry bits.

This is good practise for the other side of the room where i plan to install a similar desk on a straight wall with brackets and legs supporting it.