1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Killer Network Card?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by alic4nte, Dec 16, 2007.

1. alic4nte New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've read many review regarding this card, even the one on TPU. But does anyone here actually have the card and notice significant performance gains? And also, do you guys think it's worth it for the 10-15% gains, being that it is quite expensive?

2. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    This network priorizing card does the same thing as the nforce chipsets with first packet technology - but cost like the same as an motherboard with an nforce 5xx/6xx - but i havent got that card so i cant say for sure

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it does, especially when you're playing on a very remote server like you're in the US and the server is somewhere in Asia or Europe. A friend of mine has it. I can see differences of upto 400 ms ping between my PC and his when joining a Russian server playing Counter Strike: Source

4. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    I rather use hardware / software packet prioritizing (QoS) as I don't think it's worth the excessive premium

Laurijan says thanks.
  5. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Homeless just pm´ed me that a software named cfosspeed does the job - it free for 30 days but then it will only cost you 9.95€ while a killer card costs 120€ if i am not mistaken. www.cfos.de

He also told me that certain router allow to prioritize the network traffic but mine was to complicated and a router compatible with the tomato firmware which is the best for that job costs about 70€ if i am not mistaken.

6. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    my WRT54GL w/ddwrt should do the job too.

7. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    It actually runs a very basic version of Linux, comes with it's own RAM, and CPU. Thus taking ALL the load off the CPU, moving the stack away from Windows, and providing a seperate accessible OS that you can run Bittorrent on without losing ping.

The price is a bit much, but if it was sub-£100 I would definately get one.

8. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    If you're into Bit-torrent use and have a 2 GB pen-drive and a Killer NIC, you're one lucky bas***.

9. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Whats the purpose of the pen-drive in bit-torrenting? Cant decent Sata HDDs performe even better than i pen driver?

10. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    No. The NIC has a special USB port where you can plug in a pen drive or external USB storage device and the card can do the bit-torrent downloads for you without the intervention of any other system component.

11. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    The tomato firmware on my Buffalo HP-G54-HP with QoS on works great!

12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The people who use these are the people that have the Core 2 Extreme cpus and 8800 ultras, catch my drift?

It has a minimal impact. The only thing it would be good for (maybe) is if you use xfire or ventrilo or something you can run it off the network card and not on your main computer. I would just take the money and buy better components.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. killatia New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it was cheaper i would say its a good buy but at its current price i can't. once it hits below $100 it would be a better buy but not now.

14. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    im tryin cfos now, its ok but not great :)

15. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Killer NIC, like Ageia PhysX is an off-beat product. While Ageia set a very decent price for the PhysX ($110~$130), Killer screwed-up $270. But I can understand. They use an IBM PowerPC processor, onboard memory, Broadcomm PHYs, a lot of those components are very expensive in the electronics market. Killer also makes a lower-priced NIC priced at $170, which is still steep.

16. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    The Killer NIC is a great "concept" idea, but in practice, techno overkill fixing a "minor" issue.

The killer NIC is effective at prioritising network traffic in/out of your PC, ie. your local LAN. But if you are gaming... it is unlikely you are doing much else on the PC or LAN at the same time. So there really isnt much other traffic to prioritise / deprioritise.

The weakest link is to your ISP - and the ISP prioritisation of YOUR traffic to the internet. The Killer NIC will do diddly-squat about this.

A FAR MORE EFFECTIVE investment, is to upgrade your internet connection or get a better ISP service. Note, some ISP's offer a "premium" gamer service where traffic is prioritised, which can help reduce pings by 10ms. For the extra $5/EUR5 per month... that would give you 2 years of improved gaming experience that would be FAR SUPERIOR to what the Killer Nic can achieve.

REPEAT. Killer NIC is good in concept, but it is only fixing YOUR LAN. It isnt going to help the router-to-ISP connection, or the ISP-to-internet service.

17. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    i'd say it a good idea for dedicated servers like the kind you would rent out, not so much regular people.

18. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I have to decide if i´ll buy a program license for cFosSpeed a network prioritzion program for windows or a router which can be flashed with the tomato fireware. The license cost about 10€ and the router about 70€ - which should i go for? I hear winamp radio while playing enemy territory and maybe teamspeak at the same time in the near future - i have a 10Mbit VDSL PPPoE internet connection - and usually use a VPN while P2P but turn it of because it slows down gaming a lot. The connections downstream throughput without the VPN is about 1 Mb/s

19. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Most reviews have the Killer NIC against various onboard controllers, has anyone seen a review with it against higher-end NICs? Intel, HP, and others have single-port NIC's in the $70-100 range with TCP/UDP offloading, as well as your choice of PCI, PCI-X, and PCIe interface.

May not have magical ping reducing technologies, but possbility good performance @ low cpu (and lower cost)?

20. killatia New Member

Thanks Received:
    good question, i would like to see this kind of benchmark if possible.

21. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i would suggest a WRT54G v1-3 or WRT54GS v1-4 but like, i think you can do better than tomatoe or dd-wrt, ive had the best experience with OpenWRT and X-wrt [great web interface for OpenWRT] you can get packages that come with it already there, its defiantly the most powerfull as far as features go