1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Killer Technology Launches New Killer High-Performance Network Controllers

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 19, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Killer Technology (formerly Bigfoot Networks, before its Qualcomm buyout), launched two new network interface solutions aimed at gaming and enthusiast PCs, these include the Killer Wireless-N 1202, and Killer E2200 gigabit Ethernet, which are successors of Killer Wireless-N 1102/1103 and Killer E2100, respectively. Built in the mPCIe card form-factor, the Killer Wireless-N E1202 has quite a bit of Atheros DNA loaded into it (another subsidiary of Qualcomm), apart from Wireless-N, the E1202 also includes a Bluetooth controller. The Killer E2200 high-performance gigabit Ethernet controller will be available as both PCIe add-on card and embedded form (for motherboard manufacturers), it could be a refined, performance-optimized successor of the Killer E2100. Killer's USP is high performance using advanced offload of the network stack to a native application processor, resulting in lower pings that could help in multiplayer gaming. Both solutions will be available soon.

[​IMG]

Source: Engadget
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like killer is shaping up to make real network cards now, not just marketing gimmicks
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see this.
  5. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    How can you tell? So far the reviews shows 0.1 improvement in performance only, hehe
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the linked review by LANderpaherp showed that the ping was quite low compared to other wifi N devices, approaching close to wired pings. yes, it required a router by these guys as well - but there was a truly measurable difference.

edit: they were provided an off the shelf router, yes - but you can guarantee it was picked for its compatibility with the chipset used in the killer NIC.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    On the wireless side, yes. On the wired side, they are still just gimmicks.

Even when he was using a router not provided by Killer Networks the pings were near wired levels. And it wasn't like the router was some special router they provided him, it was just a standard Linksys 4200 router that anyone can buy off the shelf.
    1c3d0g and Mussels say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. illli

Thanks Received:
    if that picture is correct then i guess the max is 300 Mbps.
    the previous version (1103) could do 450 Mbps. granted 1103 didn't have bluetooth, but seems like a sidegrade rather than upgrade.
  9. neko77025

neko77025

Thanks Received:
    I have own a few Bigfoot Killer NIC .. And I here this all the time .. however ppl dont know what they are talking about. These cards always improved my Ping, DL /UL speed .. however it never help my FPS online .. CPU / GPUs never got hurt by online ping/fps hits back then.

But for me .. the big big worth of these cards .. You could Download Torrent(s) ALOT faster when gaming.

Was it worth the 250.00 I paid back in the day ..probably not. But I could afford it then (then! lol).

I have that card in a drawer right next too me .. and I am 100% it is faster then the on-board NIC of my 3month old motherboard. I would use it if Not due too the Lack of PCI slots.
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    If only I could edit my user name.