• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

King Richard III died painfully on battlefield

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
England's King Richard III might well have lost his kingdom for a horse. The reviled king suffered nearly a dozen injuries on the battlefield, but the fatal blows were probably only sustained after he had to abandon his horse, according to a new paper.

Since the skeleton of the 15th-century king was discovered under a parking lot in central England in 2012, scientists have done numerous studies, including an examination of his twisted spine that led Shakespeare to label him a hunchback. In the latest research, published Wednesday in the journal Lancet, scientists used computer scans and other methods to analyze the king's skeletal wounds.

"Richard was probably in quite a lot of pain at the end," said Sarah Hainsworth, a professor of materials engineering at the University of Leicester and one of the study authors. She said the king was most likely attacked by numerous assailants after dismounting from his horse, which got stuck in a marsh.

Richard's skeleton showed evidence of 11 injuries from weapons including daggers, swords and a long metal pole with an axe and hook that was used to pull knights off their horses. "Medieval battle was bloody and brutal," she said, noting one of the skull injuries showed a sword had pierced his head.

The nine injuries Richard suffered to his head prove the king somehow lost or took off his helmet during the battle at Bosworth Field, against Henry Tudor, on Aug. 22, 1485. He was the last English monarch to die in battle.

Even if Richard's injuries had been treatable, it was highly unlikely his rivals would have shown him mercy, said Steven Gunn, an associate professor of history at Oxford University, who was not part of the research.

Full article here.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
It's relatively well known in English historical culture, he was in fact not shot in the eye with an arrow, which is what most history lessons teach.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
A couple of things, I thought the guy with the eye (or without it once the arrow popped in to say hello) was King Harold II King of England, it occured at the Battle of Hastings? Secondly...... Since when has English history been "Science & Technology"! as I am English and biased though I will leave it :)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
A couple of things, I thought the guy with the eye (or without it once the arrow popped in to say hello) was King Harold II King of England, it occured at the Battle of Hastings? Secondly...... Since when has English history been "Science & Technology"! as I am English and biased though I will leave it :)

I'm ill, and tired, and I have no better excuse for stupidity.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
Since the skeleton of the 15th-century king was discovered under a parking lot in central England in 2012, scientists have done numerous studies, including an examination of his twisted spine that led Shakespeare to label him a hunchback. In the latest research, published Wednesday in the journal Lancet, scientists used computer scans and other methods to analyze the king's skeletal wounds.
Full article here.
;)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Mentioning a word like scientist does not make it scientific, I could do a piece on potato growing and mention at the end that some Scientists say potatoes are healthy, that does not change the fact that it would be a horticultural article as opposed to a scientific one ;)

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
Mentioning a word like scientist does not make it scientific, I could do a piece on potato growing and mention at the end that some Scientists say potatoes are healthy, that does not change the fact that it would be a horticultural article as opposed to a scientific one ;)
if article is focused more to final results and conclusions rather then scientific methods used in research doesnt make it non-scientific. also dont forget that history is science as well. ya it isnt pc/tech related but still it is science ;)

Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10

Agriculture is a science...and the research was first published in the Lancet, a medical journal. Unless of course medicine is no longer a science...Or even more specifically, forensics...

There's nothing really "strictly historical" here anyway. It doesn't matter if he was killed in a marsh, or some grassland, in 1485, or 1423, or if it isn't even Richard III to begin with. The main idea of the article is that they were able to determine that he had swords struck onto his head, and pierced onto his skull, plus other weapons (probably blunt weapons), and that he most probably didn't have his helmet at that time. And that piece is probably the only one you could say is "historical" rather than "scientific" i.e. whether or not he had his helmet on or not. But regardless, they were able to confirm Shakespeare's supposition through the scientific method.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Agriculture is a science...and the research was first published in the Lancet, a medical journal. Unless of course medicine is no longer a science...Or even more specifically, forensics...

There's nothing really "strictly historical" here anyway. It doesn't matter if he was killed in a marsh, or some grassland, in 1485, or 1423, or if it isn't even Richard III to begin with. The main idea of the article is that they were able to determine that he had swords struck onto his head, and pierced onto his skill, plus other weapons (probably blunt weapons), and that he most probably didn't have his helmet at that time. And that piece is probably the only one you could say is "historical" rather than "scientific" i.e. whether or not he had his helmet on or not. But regardless, they were able to confirm Shakespeare's supposition through the scientific method.
Yep thats the way most of them died back then, especally if they started wars....... all your points are valid but lets face it based on your theories you could tie pretty much anything into Science, whilst it may not be to anyone else..... in my little closeted world this remans history! As far as I can remember (and it was a long time ago), Science and history were 2 different subjects at school :peace:

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
interesting and let it be part of our history

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Yep thats the way most of them died back then

All wars were incredibly brutal from the beginning of time past through the ages when melee was still an option. Unlike all those hollywood movies where brad pitt cuts through enemies like butter, the actual properties of bladed weapons were not quite so silky and clean cut(no pun intended). There were no single slice beheadings, or the swift cutting of limbs. The only weapon capable was a double edged and incredibly heavy sword wielded by the crusaders, and only if the blade was kept in sharp conditions with a whetstone (Though most knights used their chainmail to buff out the chinks in their blades during duels). Swords were very rarely better than maces or bludgeons, they were just as barbaric, and would take as many as nine blow to cut through any type of limb. Medieval warfare was painful, and after the death of Richard III, the War of the Roses showed that nobody particularly wanted to kill the barons in battle. They were always captured and either imprisoned, or beheaded (which also was rarely a single slice affair).

The only weapons capable in the early ages were the freshly sharpened double edged and extremely heavy swords, and the 1000 times folded swords of asian manufacture. Everything else was a "club this round the other man's head, or I die first" sort of thing. It's also worth mentioning platemail was nigh impossible to penetrate back in the day. Nothing did anything besides very well made crossbow bolts, and very blunt hammers, which mostly caused death to plate wearers by the sheer force put through the armor, a la, broken necks, shattered bones, and broken ribs. You'd be amazed how protective plate armor was, even broadshields were impenetrable unless somebody wielded one of those enormous japanese log things with studs in it (I do not recall the name, but it was one of the few things a human could wield that would snap a wooden broadshield in half).

Bottom line is, always use protection.

As you can imagine I was a fan of history.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
Yep thats the way most of them died back then, especally if they started wars....... all your points are valid but lets face it based on your theories you could tie pretty much anything into Science, whilst it may not be to anyone else..... in my little closeted world this remans history! As far as I can remember (and it was a long time ago), Science and history were 2 different subjects at school :peace:
duno how it is in english but in my language "history science" (verbatim translation) is complitely valid phrase

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
And just another quick one, that news story should read:

EVERYONE in that battle died painfully.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
And just another quick one, that news story should read:

EVERYONE in that battle died painfully.
much depend from what was injury that dead blow caused. those that hadnt injuries till dead blow and died from blow that caused instand dead were lucky.
thoes that werent so lucky and was injured deadly but didnt died instantly had miserable and painfull end.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I took this as an article based on forensics, not a history lesson, so I can definately see this in the Science and Technology section.

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
This isn't history Tatty One. A primary source means either an eyewitness account or the historian sees it himself (the former is still missing, the latter is impossible). A secondary source would mean reading someone else who recorded an eyewitness account (which is also still missing), or the historian goes to the realm of science (archaeology, forensics) to determine what happened, and since he is an historian, and not a forensics expert nor an archaeologist, it's no longer under his "history" discipline. And sources are the important things in history; three out of four the historian can be directly involved, in the fourth, unless he's a multidisciplinary expert, is outside of his knowledge base.

And it's easy to infer that he would probably be the only one who got the treatment in battle. His enemies would rather hit him 10 times than hit 10 of the king's soldiers once each.

Now that's "historical conjecture". If I somehow was able to provide verifiable evidence through in-depth analysis of the remains of the other soldiers on the king's army nearby, then that becomes "scientific".

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
OK, I covered it in history around 1974 and was taught that he was "bludgeoned" to death in battle and had received multiple wounds, don't know where the historians and/or scientists got it from but it was taught in history, maybe eyewitness accounts at the time I dunno and as RCoon mentioned earlier, it was rare back in those days to die from a single blow or wound so of course death was going to be painful. :) For the sake of argument we will call it Science but as I said earlier, you could almost put a scientific tag on pretty much everything if you tried hard enough.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
you could almost put a scientific tag on pretty much everything if you tried hard enough.
i want to see what science you'd tag to this one
:D

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Ring Kichard was his name.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
This is nonsense. Everyone knows history started in 1776. Everything before that was a mistake.

MERICA!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Unfortunately scientific inquiry today isn't up to par with the quality of scientific methods of the Medieval Ages

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@64K: If there was a "ten tines thanks button" thats what i would press! LOL, a very funny trip down memory lane, there.

Reactions: 64K

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Unfortunately scientific inquiry today isn't up to par with the quality of scientific methods of the Medieval Ages

That's pretty much how I see most science even today.