1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KingSpec 2.5 GB/s PCIe SSD Detailed

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 4, 2013.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In the swarming SSD market, what better way to blast your way from obscurity to worldwide attention, than launching a ludicrously fast SSD? KingSpec unveiled the MC2J677M1T, a PCI-Express SSD that's tested to be capable of sequential speeds as high as 2.5 GB/s (gigabytes per second). Pictured below, the drive is an almost full-height add-on card with PCI-Express 2.0 x8 bus interface. The card seats a high performance SATA 6 Gb/s RAID controller by LSI (under that fan-heatsink), which is wired to eight mSATA 6 Gb/s ports, holding the eight sub-units.

The eight mSATA SSD sub-units on the MC2J677M1T each hold 120 GB of data (totaling 960 GB). Each sub-unit runs a JMicron-made controller, Intel-made MLC NAND flash, and Nanya-made DRAM cache. The LSI RAID controller is designed to be plug-and-play, i.e., the drive is bootable, and you won't need an F6 driver during Windows installation to detect the drive. A quick ATTO benchmark run by TheSSDReview, which has one of these drives, yielded sequential read speeds well past 2,500 MB/s.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: TheSSDReview

2. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    That's fast but I bet it will be hella expensive and 960GB is only common for capacity in rotary land. More then anything I want the capacity of theses things to go up, if I saw a 2.5TB SSD instead of 2.5GB/s I would actually be more impressed

3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i'm guessing this could only help like top level industry and rendering? i'm not too keen on what great SSD/HDD are for lol

4. Supercrit

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how many arms, legs and kidneys need to be sold to afford one like that.

5. mr2009

mr2009

Thanks Received:
    so is the msata interchangeable? can we change to even bigger capacity in the future? i would imagine 256GBx8=~2TB....

6. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    In about 10 years we all will be laughing at the speed and price of this kind of product.

7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a mediocratic/unthusiast argument. "Everything high-end today will be mediocre tomorrow, so let's all be mediocre today."

8. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Good news is that the tech is here. Give it like 5-6 years and this SSD will cost as much as an 1TB HDD right now. Patience is a virtue. ;) :D

9. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    .....anyone unimpressed by this must surrender or shred their enthusiast card immediately

10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    4k writes are deplorable... Wow. The vector I have hits almost 300MB at 4K writes.

Or perhaps just gain more knowledge on the subject...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  11. Fx

Fx

Thanks Received:
    KingSpec is more than welcome to send one of these to me for "testing" purposes.

12. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    I was impressed with Fusion-IO when they showcased this beast last year bragging about their 1 million IOPS.

EDIT: the price is also ridiculous -> 100k for the 5TB model and 130k for the 10TB one :eek:

13. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ridiculously fast, but it must be ridiculously expensive... I'd like to see this in double capacity too, would be a niiiice ~2tb drive to pop in!