1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kingston HyperX 10th Anniversary Edition 2400 MHz C11 4 x 4GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Feb 18, 2013.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  2. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for Your review time
    They are nice - but the Tridents are pure killers :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the great review.

Two notes:
    - I would include lifetime warranty into the pros list.
    - I don't think dedicated fans would be necessary, the case-airflow in any decent build is enough for these modules imho.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    On premium kits like these it would really be nice to see another PCB colour actually. I generally couldn't care less about that stuff, but for special stuff like this.. It would be really nice.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the Tridents overall area better kit, but you do pay for that, too. This kit costs less than half what the TridentX kit does.

Actually, I expect any memory module to have a lifetime warranty. Should a set not, I'll mention it as a con. This to me a standard that is spread throughout the industry, and not toe up to the line would be a bad thing. As a standard, it's just simply expected.

This kit can definitely use a fan. By my testing, in an open testbench with only a small bit of airflow, these DIMMS topped 71c, measured via an probe slid into the heat spreader and next to one IC. That's a full17c higher than any other kit I've tested so far. It's not something to be concerned about, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I kinda of agree, but then, the green of the PCB is nearly 100% hidden when installed.

[​IMG]

If these cost a wee bit more, then sure. I do agree, overall, however, and wouldn't mind a black PCB, and would not mind paying a bit more for that either, since this kit is so affordable already.
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yes.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Find me memory without lifetime warranty. Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill, Samsung, Micron, all carry lifetime warranty. I know there are other brands, but they are not sold locally, so I am not 100% on them.
  8. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Great review, Dave! Nice memory kit, good performance and great looks!

I wanted to ask you: In another thread (which i don't remember now), you said that you had some Patriot Viper 3 memory kits tested.... Why we haven't seen reviews from the Viper 3's yet?

Thanks in advance! :D
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    They were DOA, and Patriot didn't care to send me another kit, or return my emails. I might review the kit eventually, but I know what I got should not be indicative of what retail kits are like. They sent me a quad kit and a dual kit, and of the six sticks, only two work, and from different kits. Kinda hard to test broken parts, and a 66% DOA rate is unacceptable. :p
  10. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    WOW. I'm quite surprised their support sucked THAT bad. :ohwell:
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    For all I know, my emails got SPAM-banned. All I can say is that Patriot hasn't contacted me since. I don't hold this against Patriot, at all, you still see another kit of theirs in my reviews. It's just luck of the draw, and sometimes such things happen when doing reviews.

Literally, this kit in this review just showed up on my doorstep. I didn't even talk to Kingston. However, they got my address from somewhere, some other reviewer here or other staff, so the sticks were tested, worked, and the review was posted. The only time I don't post reviews of stuff I get is because I have run into issues, and need to get them sorted. Sometimes it's the part's fault...sometimes my system.

I actually have had many issues recently, RMA'd two VGAs(well, same VGA, RMA'd twice), replaced PSU...when you handle as many parts as I do, getting some bad ones is expected.
    PatoRodrigues says thanks.
  12. Sabishii Hito

Thanks Received:
    Patriot and Kingston seem to get the leftover CFR chips after G.Skill, Geil and Corsair get done binning. Not being able to do 2600 is pretty weak, I have some 1866C9 rated Corsair Vengeance that can do 2666 C11 with 1.75v.
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    But the question is, how do they perform @ 2666, compared to these sticks?

I have Kingston HyperX Beast and HyperX Predator also, I expect THOSE kits to scale a bit better. The Genesis lineup is kind of a value-oriented product primarily, not top-performance. This is like Corsair's XMS line-up, not Vengeance. Vengeance is an enthusiast line-up, but also not top performance. Not all Vengeance kits clock well. I have the LP white 1.35 V sticks here that I bought myself, they are very underwhelming as well when it comes to OC.

Also, since many CPUs have issues going over 2400 MHz, being able to go that high is not really that important in the grand scope of things. IF these were Predator T1 sticks, I'd agree.
  14. Sabishii Hito

Thanks Received:
    Those Vengeance LP 1.35v sticks use Elpida chips so I'm not surprised they wouldn't overclock much. Elpida ICs these days are crap compared to the stuff they made 4 years ago for the X58/P55 platforms, i.e the legendary Elpida J1108BASE MNH/MGH-E Hyper.
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Ha, nearly anything would be "Crap" compared to Elpida Hypers. :p
  16. Sabishii Hito

Thanks Received:
    I think the Samsung 2Gbit stuff can give em a run for their money in terms of speed/latency balance. 2666C10 is pretty freaking awesome.
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You may be right, if you have the right CPU to take advantage of them. I've heard of 3770k not even doing 2400 MHz... really.

Both my 3770K and 3570K do 2666 MHz+, but no 2800 MHz.

2133 MHz 8-8-8-24 has yet to be matched with current ICs, but overall, yeah bandwidth is better now. Here's to hoping that Haswell pushes even further.:D
  18. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    nice I like the look of this kit. good review man