1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kingston HyperX Beast Black 2x 8GB 2133 MHz CL11 DDR3

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Jun 19, 2013.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
    Crap Daddy, Major_A, Frogger and 4 others say thanks.
  2. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    so much memory to buy - so little time (read money) I have.....

Good for the market (users) that so many vendors makes quality memory sticks - Kingston, G.Skill, Corsair, GEIL etc etc....

Thanx for the review - nice as always :)
    cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Another great review Dave:toast:
    cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Major_A

Major_A

Thanks Received:
    You must be a fisherman. Cause if you have the patience to overclock RAM then you must have a ton of it. Thanks for the review.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I use these RAM sticks, cant say I've attempted to overclock them, didnt think they were particularly capable sticks. Evidently I was wrong.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I also have these sticks. Haven't tried to overclock them, but then again i don't really need the extra performance with my setup
    cadaveca says thanks.
  7. Farmer Boe

Farmer Boe

Thanks Received:
    Another excellent memory review Dave. I'm also mystified at the strange 3D bench results but the numbers speak for themselves. I usually default to G.Skill for my RAM needs but I'm tempted to try Kingston with the positive reviews I've read over the past few months.

Your reviews are a pleasure to read. Keep up the good work!
    cadaveca says thanks.
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the comments guys, they are much appreciated.

Yeah, those 3D scores are odd, for sure. I do think I know why it works like this, and it might have to do with the fact that if I do a bunch of benchmarking or gaming and remove the sticks right after, one will be cold, and the other warm. With 4 GB sticks, both will be warm. It seems as though only once stick is getting used due to the size of buffer offered, and that provides a single contiguous space that apps can run from, rather than being spread over two DIMMs, making the controller have to access both DIMMs instead of just one.

I do have some other 8 GB DIMMS here now, and am expecting a few more kits to arrive too, so I am going to spend some time looking into this for sure. It is entirely possible that something else, like a Windows update, is what is at fault here, although I do not purposefully install updates.

I test stuff typically a week or two before I get to doing the writing. So there's a bit of a gap between me getting results, and actually examining them. With these weird results showing up, I've taken steps to make sure that I am not leaving such time gaps between testing and writing, and further memory reviews from this point forward will be done with Haswell rather than Ivybridge. I'm just working now on getting my baseline numbers with some of the older kits I have on-hand, including this one, and I'll have another memory review ready for publishing in a few days, hopefully before Monday so it can go live some time next week. I love playing with memory, so I've been very eager to get started on this, let me tell you.
  9. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    HyperX RAM: did not dissapoint
    Review by cadaveca: did not disappoint

cadaveca says thanks.
  10. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Old thread but I have Kingston HyperX Black 2x8's and achieved exact same results as the Beast. My stock XMP is DDR3 1600 @ 1.5v 10-10-10-27 and I am stable at 2133 1.58v 11-11-11-33. Possibly even stable at a lower voltage, still working my way down with testing.

Is it the same stuff with a different heatspreader? Your overclocking results and performance mirror mine.

I have reached 2200 but it is unstable with some stress test programs. 2400 didn't boot at 1.65, I didn't try any higher DRAM voltages or raising stock VTT/IMC voltages.