1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kingston SSDNow V Series Gen II 64 GB Raid 0

Discussion in 'Storage' started by $immond$, Aug 6, 2010.

1. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have ordered one of these already, I was wondering if I should order a second and place it RAID 0. My only concern is that it will degrade and slow down because TRIM will be disabled in RAID 0.

Will I notice much of a slow down once I have installed everything on the SSD with TRIM disabled? Is there anything else I can use to keep the SSD fast if I set it up in RAID?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Based on performance, I would sell that SSD and get something with a Sandforce controller on it. It will be as fast as two of those drives in RAID 0 and you'll have Trim.
  3. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea but for $100 you cant complain, is there any utilities out there for SSD's in RAID to keep them speedy?
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    WarEagleAU, trickson and $immond$ say thanks.
  5. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, so it cost $100. Well... Ever heard the magic phrase "not rich enough to buy cheap stuff"? :)
  6. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    $100CAD X2 per 64GB is pretty cheap. Your point?

I understand its not going to perform the same level of more expensive SSD drives, but it is still a shitload faster than any mechanical hard drives in RAID 0. Since TRIM is not supported in raid yet I just want know of any apps that can keep them running relatively fast so I don't experience my system running to crawl once the disk space is nearly used up.

I am not really interested in spending huge $$$ in SSD's yet specially with the lack of SATA 3 choices and limitations by Sata/RAID controllers.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for that little tool worked really nice .

I am not sure but I would venture a guess that with out TRIM you will be seeing a slow down of some sort . But I am not an expert in the SSD's I just recently bought one and have it running quite well and it is very fast .
  8. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link btw erocker.

Does anyone know if there will be TRIM support for RAID arrays for Server 2008?
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. ysith New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to this review which is for the 128gb version of this ssd, using the same controller, these ssd's don't degrade that much in performance even without TRIM.
  10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    There should be in the near future an update to drivers and firmware that will support TRIM in raid modes. WHen that is, I am not sure, but I personally am hoping end of this year, Q1` of next.
  11. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I sold them and bought a 120 Gb Pheonix Sandforce drive.
  12. Nickzy

Nickzy New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a pretty good choice aswell, how is the transffer rates compared to the kingston drive?
  13. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was hitting upwards of 480Mbps for read and 165-170 for writes with the 2 Kingston Drives in Raid 0, not bad for $200. I haven't installed my Sandforce yet, its still sitting on my desk.

My AMD system failed running 2 SSD's in RAID 0, there seems to be issues with 850SB on the 890 chipsets, hence why I sold them and bought a single Sandforce drive. I wont to get another one, so I hope AMD is able to fix the problem, or I am switching to Intel.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  14. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I sold these drives to the same friend who bought my i7 Rig, I have to say they are faster than my single Sandforce drive and also score a higher windows 7 rating.

7.3 where is I am only scoring 7.1, not to mention were $100 cheaper.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010