1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kingwin Absolute Platinum 550 W

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Mar 23, 2012.

1. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. mechtech

mechtech

Thanks Received:
  3. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    Actually that's 25$ more. for $5 less than that you have the modular version which got a great review as well; KINGWIN Lazer Platinum Series LZP-550 550W ATX 12V... http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Kingwin/LZP-550/8.html
    Although it doesn't have the warranty of the seasonic sadly.

4. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    The SS costs $25 more and has lower efficiency (not by much though).

Also the fan is of high quality just Kingwin chose not to expose its model number.

The 3 year warranty at this price range is not so unusual and the non modular design for some is not a con, especially for PSUs with low capacity thus small amount of cables.

5. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
  6. duneworld New Member

Thanks Received:
    No mention of the semi fanless feature on the Kingwin website (that I could see) so thanks for informing us about that.

7. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Another great review crmaris! Look's like a great unit for a decent specced rig, the efficiency/build look's pretty damn good! :)

I notice in your review's that you always comment on the lack of an MOV are there ANY unit's you have tested with one? As i mentioned in another of your review's you can get a simple surge supressor (power strip) for like $10 - $15 :eek: I mean if something did happen and the MOV cooked you'd have to send in the PSU to get it replaced right? IIRC an MOV only take's the hit once, i could be wrong :confused:

Thanks

adulaamin says thanks.
  8. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    nope you are right but most users out there run their PSUs without UPS or a surge suppressor, so the manufacturers ought to install MOVs in the transient filtering stage.

It is better to send the PSU for RMA rather than the whole system. However don't think that MOVs are so easy to break, depending on their type/model of course they can absorb large spikes without breaking down.

For me the best option is to use a PSU along with a good UPS, especially in countries with unstable power grid (like Greece for example) or in areas with severe weather conditions (thunders)

Finally most units from respectable manufacturers have MOVs installed. As far as I can remember only FSP in most of their implementations (however they claim that one of their custom made control ICs is able to supress spikes but can't really confirm/test this) and Super Flower units don't use MOVs.

adulaamin says thanks.
  9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Lovely review as always. Loving the new graphics for editors choice, recommended, etc.