1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Koolance, any good?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Azn Tr14dZ, May 2, 2006.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :-/ Sadly the 9500 will still beat it. It suffers from similar flaws as the TT BigWater does.

1/4ID tubing(lack of flow), poor pump head/flow, and you can't upgrade these to make them any better really.

I'll help ya build a real kit :) do you have msn or yahoo?
  3. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    um no the 9500 will not beat it, no aircooler will break 200watt heat load reduction. lol seriously:slap:
    and this unit seems to do 300watts+ though there are better units, for 150$ it's not bad the problem is that the blcoks are also another 50$ so you'd be spending 200$ total still not bad for over 300watts of cooling power.

now a unit from dangerden for 200$ will easily outperform it, but will take much more work in putting together and configuring.
  4. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cooling/air/heatsinks/zalman/cnps9500/

Well it doesn't beat it by much...3c isn't worth 150 extra dollars.
  5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes it isnt a simple "does it beat it".. high end air will beat cheap water.. and if expensive water only only beats high end air by 3c as bigboi says.. it aint worth the trouble.. price and effort..

spoken by a guy who actually has some expensive water cooling stuff sat in a box and cant be arsed to fit it... he he

the 9500 does the job perfectly well..

trog
  6. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but a good custom kit would drop temps by much more than 3c. :toast:
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I have the PC2 system. It's basically the older Exos built into a Chieftech case. I've got the older CPU-200 waterbock (they now have higher dissapation units like the CPU-300), and a GPU-180 on my C3D X800 GTO. Redundant pumps, great fan control module and really is turn-key. The only thing I would change is put larger tubing on it. In short, I've been through three motherboards and processors in the same case, and I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade, it's been all good. And the case is QUIET! Look at my system specs. FWIW, I've always tested components on air before putting the waterblocks on, and oh, man waht a difference.
  8. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    ummm that review was about as thorough as a five year olds report on a museum.
    1. it' doen't mention anything about the exos used (ther are 6 kinds lol) it could ahve been an in rig one, which perform less than the external system.
    2. it failed to mention which cpu block it was using for the exos, it matters.
    3. it fails to mention what was used to read the temps.
    4. it fails to list information on most of the cooler used.
    5. 15 minutes? I''ll bet 1 hour or two hous into prime would tell a different story entirely.
    6. failed to re-assess ambient temp after each test, computers heat up rooms, thus if the zalman was tested first the ambient temp would have been as listed for the test, but it would be higher for the next types of cooling used as that 50C+ air was being vented out of the case into the room heating it up, so the difference could have been more than 4c on the intel and 2c on the amd, more like 10C on the intel and 8c on the amd. this is what all the equipment Ice czar has does, to make sure the environment is the same from one test to the next.

so no again the 9500 won't beat it, yes the zalman is much cheaper but watercooling also takes away heat load from the system cooling down more than just the cpu, it helps with the memory and everything else nearby the cpu as there isn't hot air being blown on components. (remember this is why people prefer arctic silencers because they vent outside the case) water cooling doesn't even have to worry about where the hot air is going. And watercooling is less detrimented by ambient than air cooling is.
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  9. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    You got that right, I have seen as many people have had comparing a koolance to air, koolance always wins, depends what you want that liquid cooler or an air cooler. Id go for that, As I have seen some great system with it, your getting it for a reasonable price to.

Bump: This is a great product also by them, Just saying http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-94.html?id=QcDxk8kW
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ouchieeee - that's expensive, but looks like a sweet unit. I say get the Exos and waterblock of your choice. Strangely, I have not seen any 1:1 comparisons of Koolance stuff vs. Others... And I've seen a lot of waterblcok reviews, take www.overclockers.com for example - anyone?
  11. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Expensive but very good, plus its an internal small unit.
  12. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    water cooling only takes hot air out of tre case if the rad is outside.. or at least venting outside.. if its inside the case it heats the case exactly the same as an air cooler does..

an air cooler does a better job of cooling components around the cpu than water cooling does.. and no way is a cpu gonna heat the average room by any noticable amount..

cheapo water cooling kits sell on the myth that "water is better than air".. in many cases it isnt.. its worse.. but myths are there to be believed in.. so folks will continue to waste their money on crappy cheap water cooling kits come what may..

trog
  13. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    QFT
  14. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    ummm ever wonder why it's called the exos?
    http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/28_41/products_id/267
    where do you see this inside the case rad you speak of? fans blow in the top of the unit, and push the air out the sides, this is an all in one cooling unit that sits on top of your case, not a case that contains an internal cooler lol. seriously:slap:

and yes in this case a 50c cpu temp combined with a 23c ambient means that the room will heat up significantly just as if you had a space heater on in the room. believe me I live in AZ the rooms get quite noticiby hotter where computers are on. a good 5-6C.
    and this koolance is not a cheapo unit, lol where have you done your research on them? the same site the review came from? lmao!
    koolance is simply put the best prebuilt watercooler you can buy, they have been for the last 6 years, do some reasearch, some REAL research.

300+ watts beats the bigwater 745, kingwin AC1, kingwin aquastar, cooler master micros, coolermaster aquian, tt rythm, and any of the highend watercooling company's single 120 rad coolers.

I mean just because you have the 9500 doesn't mean it's the best cooler the world has ever seen, thats the only "myth" i see being preached in this thread.
  15. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was talking water as opposed to air in a general way.. i wasnt knocking any particular kit.. just the much believed myth that kinda says any water is better than air period.. it isnt..

and arizona apart.. if u can find a desktop PC that can heat the average room up by 5c u are on your make to making a fortune..

so your comments about rasing the room ambient by any noticable amount and therefore affecting test results are utter nonsense..

trog
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Trog - in the Exos and PC2 system, there are three fans, two work in tandem in/out, while the third blows through the radiator and directly out of the TOP back of the case (I even drilled larger holes for that fan). So, I have a CPU and GPU drawing a significant wattage - the heat is going to the radiator and directly OUT of the case, where it should be going.

The Exos is completely separate from the case, so even better.

I especially like the PC2 system because of that and the fact that it's self contained, easy to maintain, reliable (redundant pumps), has a PC shutoff if the temps go too high (in case of a major malfunction), and it works - very well.

And if you sit in a small room on a warm/hot day with two computers running + monitors, usually you will notice the heat.
  17. Mark_Hardware

Mark_Hardware New Member

Thanks Received:

Yeah that is a sweet product... I myself am going with the Koolance Exos 2.5
    http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=668

Look anywhere, there are a lot of haters on Koolance. But hey, you know what they say about opinions.....;)
  18. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I've used their products. No complaints, but I didn't use a prebuilt loop.