1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kubuntu installation headaches

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by zekrahminator, Feb 10, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so I decided Windows XP had been giving me enough crap for too long, and shoved Kubuntu on there as a secondary OS. It's pretty, it's easy to use, and it only took minor configuration. I was happy. And then, I decided I wanted things like Firefox/Gaim/Flash Player. Now, I know the story about compiling in linux (or at least FreeBSD). You download source code, and you "make install". However, I try running "make install clean" in a "Konsole", and I get nothing. It can't even find the command. I try to run "install" and it gives me all sorts of various errors. Meh, I can't figure this out...how do you compile in Kubuntu?
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
  3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Forget it, Kubutnu + wireless internet = bad. I don't know how to compile in Kubuntu, it won't let me fix it according to their own handbook, I have to restart wireless internet every time I log on manually, basically I'm screwed. If you guys ever wonder why you paid so much for Windows, try a Linux distro.
  4. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you might want to try using ubuntu or xubuntu. I've always had problems with kubuntu. I don't know why, but that's just it works for me.
  5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I'll wait until my headache goes away, then I'll think about it...Fedora Core 5 looks good if I ever bother to buy some blank DVD's :).
  6. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    federa core 6 is here btw :)
  7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Errrr yeah that's what I meant :p.
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I ran Kubuntu up until about a month ago. It doesn't have a true root, so compiling can be a pain if you're not careful, not to mention getting full 3d acceleration to work with an ATI card can be a real PITA. I would suggest one of the other flavors of Linux if you're more than just a beginner and want to install things other than what's in their repository. I've been considering Fedora myself. .rpm's can make life so much easier. lol
  9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    suse 10.1 FTW worked on my wireless great
  10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Same. But Kubuntu is fine. It works fine. The desktop enviorment on both are the same (if you see suse to kde) KDE enviorment is just a little bad. GNOME ftw.
  11. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your going to use fedora, I would stick with core 5. I've had lots of issues with core 6 regarding Gnome, but YMMV.
  12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    What makes you say KDE is bad? It's not any worse than Gnome at all, plus it just plain looks better, imo.
  13. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Methinks it's just an opinion thing, both are beautiful (I like Gnome a bit better though...could just be the FreeBSD version I used with games built in).
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I use both Macs and Linux, you think I would get along with FreeBSD? How much like linux is it?
  15. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    KDE has a flawed enviorment at time. I like how it looks, but it reminds me of windoze. The GNOME enviorment is more refined.
  16. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    FreeBSD is wonderful, just make sure you are installing it using a box with a wired connection :) (and good luck getting flashplayer to work).
  17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Like Zerk said, I guess it's just down to personal preference. I've never had an issue with KDE(or Gnome, for that matter). And, if by refined, you mean plain, then I agree. :p j/k
  18. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Boy, as a Kubuntu user for 3 or 4 months now, I'm seeing some serious confusion here. Maybe I can help a little.

1. No need for compiling anything listed, Zek, as far as I know. You just install it as "packages" from the "repos", aka repositories. Here's the Kubuntu forum link -- lots of people asking questions and getting help with stuff like ATI cards and wireless connections:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php

2. KDE vs Gnome vs Xubuntu -- it's all the same, underneath. It's Ubuntu. There are 2 released versions (6.06 and 6.10) available. The differences between Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE integrated) Gnome (native Ubuntu GUI) and Xubuntu are just the "desktop environments" -- there are no differences in the Linux guts of them. So if there's a problem with a piece of hardware, that problem will be the same regardless of the GUI.

3. Doesn't have a true root? I'm not sure what is meant by "true root" -- Ubuntu uses something called a Super User, and lets you (the PC owner/operator/installer) use the same password for Super User as for your own user account IF YOU WANT TO SET IT UP THAT WAY. But "./" is there in the system, and can be just as tightly password restricted as any other *nix OS, as far as I know.

4. ATI card issues -- yep, they're fairly challenging. But I was a total noob 4 months ago (and no CS degree around here!) and I was able to set up Kubuntu 6.06 on my Radeon -- it was quite a learning experience, to be sure. When I built my new system I bought an Nividia card, which is easier to deal with.

5. (K)Ubuntu vs. BSD vs. SUSE vs. Fedora -- hey, they're all fine as far as I know. It's just a matter of picking one and learning to work with it.

I hope this is at least 95% true, and clears up some of the factual concerns.

Edit: p.s. -- Windows is "user friendly", but Linux is "expert friendly". That's more important to know than the fine points regarding differences between different Linux distributions.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  19. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    ubuntu and ubuntu based distros rely on sudo... ive never been fond of that aproach.

ubuntu and ubuntu based distros break compatibility with debian, ive never been fond of that aproach.

ubuntu and ubuntu based distros HEAVILY mod gnome and KDE in ways i dont like, ive never been.... u get the drift...

personally i like debian pure, if u want something nice simple and awsome config tools try Elive linux at http://www.elivecd.org/ its based on an compatible with debian pure and has the best gui for linux ive came across...
  20. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's funny how Ubuntu is supposed to be "Linux for humans" yet they cant collaborate enough to stick with one distro.
  21. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would all humans want only a single distro???
  22. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just use Slackware
  23. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Good point. Also guys, I'm not saying KDE is bad, but it is less refined than gnome. Gnome is more functional. KDE is for people used to windoze.
  24. MrW

MrW New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. Every time someone new to linux uses my computers, they get confused by gnome but easily pick up on kde.
  25. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Ya, KDE is for learning. GNOME is for veterans.