1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LA lawyer files suit against Microsoft over Surface storage capacity

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by micropage7, Nov 17, 2012.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Los Angeles-based lawyer Andrew Sokolowski has filed a suit against Microsoft due to the fact the company’s Surface RT tablet ships with less free space than advertised. The attorney believes Microsoft intentionally buried details about the actual amount of usable storage out of the box.

Sokolowski said he purchased a 32GB Surface RT tablet last week but ran out of storage space after loading some music and Word files onto it. After a bit of research, he realized that only 16GB of the claimed 32GB was on tap for him to use
    [​IMG]
    Lawyers representing him (lawyers representing a lawyer, weird, right?) are seeking class action status alleging false advertising and unfair business practices. The suit was filed earlier this week in the Superior Court in Los Angeles with the goal of getting Microsoft to change how they advertise the tablet’s capacity.

Microsoft released a statement on the matter saying that customers understand that the operating system and pre-installed applications reside on the device’s storage, effectively reducing the total free space. Redmond also pointed out that customers can add additional storage via the microSD card slot or through the USB port.

The company posted a FAQ on their website earlier this month outlining exactly how much free space each capacity tablet ships with. If you missed that post, here’s a quick refresher. The 32GB Surface RT has only 16GB of usable space with a fresh install of Windows while the 64GB model ships with 46GB of free space.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50828-la-lawyer-files-suit-against-microsoft-over-surface-storage-capacity.html

2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Why I no get all my 32GB XD

How big is W8 anyways ?

I bet it also comes with a lot of crap like that all do pre installed

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    not that bad, actually. I got 3dm11 and all sorts of other benching apps installed:

[​IMG]

of course, I'm not using the RT version. Oh look, I only need 31 GB. :roll:

Attached Files:

4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    LOL, he is an attorney and can only afford 32G. He must suck pretty bad.:nutkick:

[Ion] and de.das.dude say thanks.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Does any table, or for that matter any electronic device, give you full use of the space advertised? The OS and other files generally always take up some space.

95Viper and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Can I also sue HDD companies that only give me 931gb instead of the full 1tb for the advertised 1tb hdds that I buy? :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    No because they clearly state that 1GB=1,000,000,000Bytes, it isn't their fault that software companies use the wrong number for Giga.

adulaamin says thanks.
  8. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the cover starts fraying, he can include that too.

9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    first it was planking, now suing is catching on as the next "thing".

10. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure its the total capacity that was being advertised in the first place... not free space.

More than 25k PPD
  11. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Why is he suing over this? This is nothing new, everyone knows this. They're advertising it as a 32GB model which is what it is. Tough shit that it doesn't have 32GB of usable space, that would require it to be 48GB or whatever.

12. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    What an idiot is all i can say, Another sad pathetic excuse for a human, Give him the machine without an os on it and then he will be moaning about that to.

13. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Losing 50% of the available space, when it's competitors only use ~2gb is quite a large problem.

It's not really reasonable to give people something with almost half the space any other 32gb tablet would have on it and not tell them before they buy it.

Having a tablet OS that takes up 16gb is going to be a large problem with these windows tablets.

The issue here is that a 32Gb Apple/Android table would have ~28-29Gb of space on it, where the windows ones apparently have ~16Gb

STCNE says thanks.
  14. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Sad thing is this guy will win.

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    As mentioned in the other post about this, "storage" space does not automatically imply all of it is "free" out of the box. This lawyer may as well try to sue all the HDD manufacturers whom say their drives are 1TB when you only get 931GB of actual space. LOL

As xBruce mentioned, they only give reference to the total capacity. I see no claim that 32GB storage means 32GB actual free space WITH all included apps and OS installed. If this jerk wins it will only be due to loopholes that allow such scumbags to manipulate the legal system, or an idiot judge.

An interesting scenario would be if this lawyer lost because when asked why he had no closing statement, he said he had no space left on his Surface to store it. LOL

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    When your selling a 32GB Tablet with 16GB of usable storage space for the same price as the competitors 16GB table it becomes much less of a problem.

17. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    Guys... I think the lawyer is right in suing Microsoft.....
    If you are advertising 32GB you should at-least provide 22-26GB Space for storage after OS & other files installations....
    I have a 32GB i-phone & it gives me around ~29GBs Storage space after ios installed...

Generally any product will always remain in the 80% of the advertised storage capacity....
    I think MS should either reduce the size of Win OS & its application & provide with 25Gigs of space....OR
    They should simply state new GB (number)...
    They cant advertise it as 16GB product bcoz it gives complete 16GB & originally has more space...

But,
    It is not illegal to advertise it as after 16GB 32 is the standard...
    But it is not ethical...Some people may actually purchase it thinking they will get 25gigs but end up getting only ~2gigs more than others...

ORRR

Microsoft is paying this guy to sue them to gain customers.....Microsoft has done many things in the past...All they simply care about is publicity & business....They are Purely Business oriented people..never think about inventing & R&D kinda stuff.... All they do is acquisition of companies to improve their product...
    IN Microsoft R&D and M&A(merger & acquisition) are one and the same thing....

A friend of mine in Microsoft says that Microsoft promotes the piracy of its OSes for home usage so that it will become more popular than other OSes... & it has worked as a CHARM because 99.99% of PCs in INDIA have windows OS... The .01% have Linux/ubuntu for networking companies....
    Only a handful of people who can afford a PC will be using any other OS at Home here(thats about 30-40 Crore customers)....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    No, but I bet he's going to win and that will be coming just like the whole 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes thing. Why are people so mathematically illiterate?

We need to stop using specifics and start advertising to the idiots using a cup anology: "This cup holds this much. The OS takes up 50%."

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah consumer need to get educated too
    most people know when it said 32gb it has 32gb space. not taken by os or preinstalled apps

i guess for Ms is not right too to advert that the stuff has 32gb without tell that 32gb space would be used by os and preinstall apps

20. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    planking laywers is the new thing

[​IMG]

21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Hope so, because I am filing one with samsung. My 16GB phone doesn't have 16GB of free space either, my 32GB only show 28.8GB this is in the bag.

22. Depth

Thanks Received:
    This is silly. I have 10 out of 12GB free memory, I am not suing OCZ for that.

23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Not even remotely the same thing. Also, if you're seeing only 10 GB I think you might have a problem.

24. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    This lawsuit can happen only in USA....I can pick the cheapest unknown brand of USB flash memory and on the back of the plastic packaging it will warn me, that I will not be getting the advertized size as usable space. Let alone a whole tablet.

25. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, applause for that lawyer guy, that is what MS is getting for not beeing honest and assholes... doesnt matter if Apple or MS, big companies need to get sued, all that money in one place can only mean greed, asshattery and dishonesty. i hope he wins and gets as much as possible... this is only a small step towards a world where Corporations are loosing more and more power, but at least it is one.
    Every free person needs to understand, that every major company, would gladly sell the dried remains of your whole family, if they could just make a little profit with it, without getting caught... dont trust people that could easily buy and get and do everything they need,and want to do, wheter legal or illegal ;)