• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LA lawyer files suit against Microsoft over Surface storage capacity

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This just my opinion and not any kind of legal opinion.

The lawsuit has no grounds.
Microsoft did not hide info or mis-inform/mis-lead anyone.
All the information is in their F.A.Q. and available to anyone.
If this lawyer/consumer was any good they would have done the first thing any normal person would do... RESEARCH.

The case should be tossed on the first day and not allowed to waste anyone's tax dollars.

Surface disk space FAQ

Quote from page:

What's on a webpage, and what's on the box, or store display ads are two different things. Such disclaimers need to be on the outside of the box, in clearly legible writing. I brought this sort of thing up to AMD about a Sapphire card via email, a long time ago before I was doing reviews, and a lawyer called me within an hour. HE explained to me that if they have a disclaimer on the box about "features are subject to change without notice", which you will now find on many product pages and boxes, then they are covered.

Now, do they have such a disclaimer, on the packaging that is seen on the store shelf?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I have mixed feelings about this, as it's kind of a slippery slope from a legal standpoint.
While additional information is always a plus for consumers, where does the manufacturer's requirements end and the consumers responsibility to do a little homework begin?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have mixed feelings about this, as it's kind of a slippery slope from a legal standpoint.
While additional information is always a plus for consumers, where does the manufacturer's requirements end and the consumers responsibility to do a little homework begin?

Good point. I don't think just any judge is going to be willing to take THAT one on.

I paid for 12 but I only have 10 available
GRRRRRR

as i previously said manufacturers generally give more than ~80% of the advertised storage space....unlike the present case where 50% storage is lost to OS & pre-defined apps...

So the two are not even remotely the same...

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I have seen plenty of devices use the phrasing "xxxGB Storage" to actually describe the HDD size, and not the available amount of free space. It's pretty established in the industry that the size of the HDD\Flash Memory\SSD is what is advertised, and for consumers at this point they should know you will never get that in full. MP3 Players, Smart Phones, PC's, Laptops, Tablets; all feature larger listed Storage Capacities than you actually see as free space, so I don't buy this lawsuit having any merit for even one second.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I'm sure that he can sue any mfr of any device then :rolleyes: . Becuase you can buy a computer from anyone that has a 128GB SSD advertised or whatever and 20 of that is used on the OS. Pleh this guy and most like him are annoying.