1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lan File Transfer

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by slyfox2151, Feb 19, 2010.

1. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    AhoyHoy,

im looking for a Transfer program? that is compatible on both Linux (Fedora) and Windows 7.

the default windows using Samba dosnt seem to work very well at all and is a hassle to get it to even work in the 1st place.

my next option was FTP but it never seems to get over 5 mbps even with larger files ( running Gigabit lan all cards switches are gigabit )

maybe im missing a setting or somthing... can you make it send multiple files at the same time to make use of the spare bandwith?

otherwise can you recomend somthing other then FTP?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Try using Filezilla as the FTP client, it has both a Linux and Windows version. It will download multiple files at once to maximize bandwidth.

I don't think there are many other options besides Samba and FTP. Though I'm interested if there is.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Clement

Clement New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you gone over the entire config file for the FTP server you are running? 5mbps is low even for a 100mb line...Something is limiting the speed obviously...(Perhaps your machines storage system isn't fast enough?)

Can you post your ftp server configuration file here please?

IMHO the problem lies in either the configuration for your FTP server, or your FTP client.
    If none of those options suffice, you could always try a different FTP server to determine where the problem is.
    What client and server are you using? (Even if you could download multiple files with the client, I don't think* with your current setup it would be any faster - because of the root of the problem)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Samba should work fine, other than that iSCSI works nicely.
  5. Clement

Clement New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I use [samba]. S/he is probably having issues with configuring it.