• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lapped CPU + Heatsink, TIM question

Hello,

I finished lapping my heatsink and the CPU itself yesterday, I used up to 800 GRIT sandpaper on the heatsink and up to 1200 GRIT sandpaper on the CPU.

Now I've read a LOT of different techniques to apply TIM and tried several of them myself, but I can't seem to find the right way of applying it to my lapped CPU.

I have been told that I need to:
- apply a very small amount on the center of the CPU
- spread a thin layer out with a credit card over the whole heatsink/cpu
- apply a line of TIM on the CPU/heatsink

Now I'm asking the forum members who got their heatsink + cpu lapped how they have applied their TIM and how much of it (well, suggestions from everyone are welcome :)).

Thanks in advance,
-iDont

ps. I'm currently using my pc with a line of TIM applied to the CPU and it's running about 1 degree cooler than normal, but I guess that has to do with the fact that it was about 10:00am when I checked the temps + the TIM needs to settle

edit: I'm running an AMD Athlon X2 4800+ OC'd to 3GHz @ 1,275V (plenty of headroom) combined with an ThermalTake Ruby orb. I know, it's not the best cooler, currently saving money for a better one.

Last edited:

aCid888*

I apply a thin layer, really thin!

I find it works quite well :)

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
It depends with me. Right now with my setup, I have a a layer going across my CPU. I put a decent size in the center of teh CPU and spread it out with my finger while wearing a latex glove. I didnt go in circles but instead rubbed the grease on going from center to left until that side was good. Then center to right until it was coated. I end up using a bit more that way but my temps dont lie. :) I get anywhere from 18-25*C idle at 3.8GHz 24/7.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
put an extremely extremely small drop of tim on the center of your cpu and let the heatsink squash it.. remember, its so freaking close contact that you hardly need any TIM at all.

Eternal

System Name Coming Soon...
I usually apply mine just like u said, a small amount on the middle of the cpu, like the size of a grain of rice. Then go back n forth with a credit card until its reeeaaalllyyy thin.

The thinner the faster the heat transfer form the CPU to the cooler.

I thank you all for your replies.

When I tried to apply an even thin layer all across the CPU, the temps skyrocketed to about 60 degrees with Prime95. I guess I've used way to little, as I don't think the temps will lower that much while the TIM settles. I only used that much so the metal looks a big vague, yet still reflects objects if there is enough light in the room.

I'll try grain-size drop in the middle in a few days, first I want to let the current amount settle so I can make a good comparisment. Maybe I'll try the 'spread-out' method again later (with more TIM), depends on how the current setups work out.

Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-iDont

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
A rice grain sized drop in the middle works well, as the CPU heats it will be pushed out the sides. No need to try and settle it yourself as others are saying, the idea of the phase change compund is to allow for settling.

One last question: if I use a grain size drop on my lapped setup, wouldn't the TIM form an isolating layer, or is this over-exaggarated (or does this only apply to the guys who use up to 2000 GRIT)?

Thanks in advance
-iDont

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
It will move, again the idea of a phase change compound is that it become less viscous when heat is applied or present. To truly get mine to set on fast I on purposely bumped the volts to the CPU and slowed the fan, plus a little wiggle and it squished out in a few minutes. This is a dangerous way to do it, but it worked for me as mine wouldn't settle.