1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lapping hs + cpu advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sunnyj58, Dec 31, 2008.

1. sunnyj58 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have read many guides, but just want a final ok :p

I got 400,600,800,1200,1600 and 2000 grit sandpaper and plan on lapping my athlon 4400x2, and arctic pro7 heatsink

From what I read the idea is too:

Tape the sand paper down to a flat surface, then rub the hs/cpu 30times up and down, turn 90degrees and do again. Then move onto next paper, unless ofc its still needing more sanding..

One thing I dont understand is why do I need to put water down on the sandpaper though?

Any tips or advice would be really welcome :D

2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    http://www.directron.com/hsflapping.html

Water or oil acts as lubricant to prolong the life of the sandpaper and it, also floats the removed metal particles from the area easier.

Goodluck and remember, shiny is purdy, but you are looking for flat.

3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Also when lapping just use the roughest paper you have to get the anti-oxident coating off(the gray/silver stuff on the IHS). Do this until all you see is copper, then move onto the next sandpaper. Also let the weight of the proc and HSF do the work, DON'T PUSH DOWN!

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. sunnyj58 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the advice..

SO I have to pretty much add slight water to sandpaper for lubrication.. But how much excatly?

General impression I get is to drop a few drops here and there, and then when sanding it will spread.. right/wrong?

5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    A couple little drops will go a long way!! The reason you don't want a bunch of water is so the water doesn't get into the little hole/slit between the Proc PCB and IHS AND on the pins. One thing I do after lapping is get a old toothbrush and clean the pin area with some alcohol after lapping just to make sure no metal or water has a chance of frying the proc or mobo.

Crunching for Team TPU