1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop battery help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KainXS, Mar 16, 2011.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I am having a problem with my laptops battery, its an acer 5551, there are others with the same problem also with the 5551 and 5552.

the problem is I can only charge the battery up to 51% that windows detects and it will stay at 51% no matter how much I charge it, now if I let it drain the battery seems to stop detecting any charge under 6% and it will run longer than it does under that 6% than the previous amount so it has more than 51% its like it has the 100% charge but detects it as 51%, for example at 6% it will continue to run prime95 for an hour, it takes 40 minutes to get to 6% from 51%.

I tried linux and looked at its the battery sensor and when it gets to 6% the battery fields go blank on fedora core and I can't see how much it is being discharged, its like the system dosen't even know the battery is on after 6%.

I can only guess that theres a chip in the battery and its wrong or something, or the ACPI is screwed.

and at 51% if I unplug it and replug it really fast the battery drops to 37 instantly.

anyone have an idea
  2. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Try looking for a updated battery driver. Beleave it or not there is such a thing.

Edit, if you need help getting a really cheap new battery give me a PM
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    same like what i get, my netbook only show about 61% on full but it still can run about 4 hours so think thats err on battery sensor. it would go until 6% but it can run about 2 hours more
    just make sure how long it could run. if it still the same as normal i guess you dont need to worry it just sensor err
  4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I'm on my second battery now actually(This one only charges to 34% now), THe other one went all the way down to 6% and stopped charging completely and the new one is doing the same thing(and will die when it gets to 6 I bet), I don't want to buy another battery, acer denied my RMA and my brothers 5552G(pretty much the same as the 5551) is doing the same thing now, I don't know what to do . . . . . . . . . .

acers seem to have this alot but they won't fix it.

so now im trying to figure out a way to slow it down or fix it.
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    dont buy ACER products -- simple as.

I know its not what you want to hear, and i know its doesnt actually help your current situation. but if ACER know theres a problem but cant or wont fix it even though its apparent that youre not the only one affected by the problem then tbh id just spend my hard earned cash else where.

if the laptop is under warranty, you could probably email them and get a replacement. but once warranty has run out then thats where your gonna feel it as you cant really turn to ACER for replacements because Laptop battries are stupidly priced these days.

For instance -- a new battery for my BenQ S73G costs £70-80. and thats not to mention all the companies out there that sell fake or dodgy laptop batteries so youve got that problem to sift through before you manage to get a decent retailer to buy from
    KainXS says thanks.
  6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu(No more acer for me then)

I'm just gonna try to mod and experiment it for fun or something

can you recommend any good brands

I was eyeing an Asus G51 now for a while now but don't know if they're any good

Forgot the rule: always research problems on stuff before you buy anything:(
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    It really depends on what you want it for. theres so many manufacturers out there its easy to lose yourself unless you have an idea what you want it to do. its usually the cheaper laptops which you gotta worry about more as manufacturers cut corners. you can get a decent mid range laptop between £500-700 that are just great. Samsung makes some great low/mid range laptops, as does sony but beware of sony as their stuff can be a little over priced and come choked full of bloatware.
    KainXS says thanks.
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Yep, some do have this.
    Funny though, Acer sure ain't saying anything about the situation, at all.

Have you tried updating your bios to the latest?
    Downloads & Support Documents - Aspire / Aspire 5551
    Bios version 2.09 download.

Try re-calibrating the battery, some good info here:Notebook battery life and battery calibration procedures

Goodluck with it.:)

Some like this software(never used it myself, but it looks interesting):Notebook Hardware Control
    Their forum: Notebook-Treff.de
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    On what grounds will they not fix it ?. Just curious..

I hope my Inspiron 17 don't do that shit sheesh.. Well at least DELL would of gave service if needed.

If i was looking to get another Laptop i would get another DELL. ONly reason i would pick a different brand it would have to have 3+ hours to it although i don't use the battery much on my current one.
  10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you'll have a problem with dell, I have had one before and they're support was nice and more understanding.