1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Clock Doesn't Tick When Power is Off

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by muka3d, Apr 13, 2008.

1. muka3d

muka3d New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend has a Compaq F750CA laptop (cheap, just for surfing the net), and has the strangest problem with it... The time doesn't change when the power is off. So, if it is 9:30PM April 13 2008, and you turn the computer off, it will be 9:30PM when you turn it on again. When the system is on, though, the clock changes normally, and keeps track of time just fine.

I don't believe that the CMOS battery is dead, since it is keeping the correct time... it just doesn't tick. I've tried removing the laptop battery and power adapter, letting it sit for 10-15 mins, and still the same thing. It is back to the time it was when I last shut it off... It doesn't lose the time, just doesn't increment it unless the thing is on.

Any ideas? Obviously I'm thinking to have her send it in for a motherboard swap (it's in warranty), but I was wondering if there's a faster solution than that.

Thanks in advance.

2. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    apart from the CMOS battery, I can't suggest anything else having died; an RMA seems like a sensible option, but others may have other suggestions
    good luck