1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop cooling pads

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hooj, Jul 18, 2011.

1. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are laptop cooling pad's worth it and which ones would you all recommend?

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If your laptop is a hot beast, yes, otherwise, don't waste your time. The only ones I have experience with are the Zalman NC 2000, and that is a very good piece of kit. Maybe a bit pricey, but still very good. The other is a Belkin one, absolute garbage. Coolermaster makes a good range of them, but I do not know which is good and which is lemon.

hooj says thanks.
  3. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Just raise your laptop in a slant position to have it suck air in properly and your ok. Those laptop pads are gimicky.

hooj says thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't say they are completely gimmicky. They can make up to 10C worth of difference.

hooj says thanks.
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    CoolerMaster makes pretty solid ones. I wouldn't spend more than $20 on a high quality one. I bought one from a member here on the forum and the wife likes it. Not only did it knock the temps down on an already cool CPU (Intel CULV SU7300) it makes the laptop more comfortable to use (angle of the keyboard, cushion on the bottom side, etc).

hooj says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Ive personally owned a Cooler Master Notepal P1 and a Zalman NC1000.

the Zalman is my overall favorite but i recommend getting a Cooler Master Notepal X-Slim as it has a 160mm fan where as most coolers have 2 significantly smaller fans.

The X-slim also has small feet which tilt the cooler making the laptop a bit more ergonomic and comfortable to use when places on a desk.

If i didnt already have an NC-1000. Id go for the X-slim.

The only problem with the X-slim is availability. its a new product and just been released so many places might not stock it yet

hooj says thanks.
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    its return to how hard your notebook works, it you just do simple things you could skip that but just make sure you have space below your notebook to let the hot air escape. but if you do heavy process adding fan would help to reduce your temp

hooj says thanks.
  8. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Pick up any high quality product but i prefare cooling pad with one big fan in the center, normal RPM low noic and low power use.

hooj says thanks.
  9. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Almost forgot about this thread and thanks for the info you lot.

10. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Found this CoolerMaster that has some decent results when used with games.

NotePal U2

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    laptop cooling pads are a gimmick mostly. they only do two things.

1. raise the laptop so that the cooling vents can breathe. this is important, but any solid object can achieve this.

2. they blow air at the laptop. this rarely helps, because the components that overheat are INSIDE the laptop. cooling the plastic shell isnt going to solve your overheating CPU or CPU, or clean the dust out of the fins, etc.

12. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Tests have shown otherwise. Voodoo magic, perhaps? Some notebook will benefit from this, but not all. it depends on the laptop layout. I know my laptop will not benefit much from this, but my friend's Clevo certainly did benefit from it.

Edit: Tested without the cooling pad, with the cooling pad and not turned on, and with the cooling pad turned on. all of them showed a few degrees difference. Can't remember the exact numbers or have any proof of them though, we did this test some time ago. Game tested on was Empire Total War I think.

13. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    There are cheap notebook cooling pads over here. I bought one for our laptop here, just cost me around $3.33.

It satisfies #1 in Mussels' post but not #2. Why not #2? Because it does the opposite. It actually has a vent of its own too, so it blows the warm air around the bottom of the laptop out to its vent. And it's not that loud, since the laptop's own fan is still louder (although the laptop's fan no longer always spins at max RPM after I added the cooling pad - which has 2 60mm fans).

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    on a brand new laptop without overheating issues, yes it works by cooling the shell (especially if its a metal shell)

but if you're actually overheating, it wont help at all since its not helping those components directly. its like adding a case fan when your CPU fan has seized, it'll lower case ambients, it wont solve your heat problems.

15. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Whether that few degrees is worth anything to you is completely personal, we can't judge for another whether its worth it or not. But if your laptop is overheating, either you bought a shitty product or you failed to clean your laptop.

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think the shitty laptops are being ironed out actually. Also the components are smaller/cooler so it's easier to cool them. I remember my brothers Packard Bell with an Atlhon 3700+ in it that overheated from day one.. Horrible laptop that.

17. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Dell 1558. Shitty products are always around.

18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with that one? Seems to have pretty decent reviews..

19. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Suffers from massive overheating issues.

20. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I have one for mine, it certainly does help my GPU temps as the bottom casing of the laptop itself really does heat up so cooling that part with a laptop cooler does a heap especially since i have my GPU overclocked.

I bought my laptop cooler for 25 AUD so it isn't that expensive just make sure you get one with a good fan. Here is the one I'm using http://www.erodov.com/forums/cm-l1-cooling-pad-899-laptop/42686.html

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  21. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Personally.... since my laptop is long out of warranty. Ive even drilled small holes at the bottom of my laptop for better ventillation.

T2300+X1600MR packed in a 14.1" laptop gets blistering hot.

--------

obviously....do make sure your laptop is out of warranty before you do this, and dont drill too deep! you only want to go through the plastic panel, not through the entire laptop!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  22. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Thats hardcore