1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Decides To Wake Itself Up?..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by satindemon4u, Dec 24, 2013.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Hello all. Merry Christmas (Eve)! I have a Sony Vaio Laptop and have noticed something. When I close the lid it's suppose to go to sleep. Well sometimes it does and stays asleep and other times I'll come back to see it awake. I have checked in the wireless settings to make sure that the stupid box saying "Allow this device to wake the computer" is unchecked. Not sure what else I can go in and change. It's weird though. Like I said sometimes it stays asleep and other times it wakes itself up! Origin is running in the background, could it be doing something?

Thanks all.

Oh, windows 8 as well, if it matters.

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Look at your Power Options in the control panel. Make sure you have it set according to your needs and you if you have a mouse connected you may have to make sure wake on Mouse is off as I have seen this option make a PC wake up if the mouse gets a little bit of disturbance.

3. Black.Raven

Black.Raven

Thanks Received:
    Even touching the laptop over moving the lid just a little could wake it, you sure you don't do that?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Alright. Just checked there and sure enough the "allow this device to wake the computer" box was checked. Didn't even know about that one. We will see if that fixes it!
    Yes I am sure, the laptop sits and nothing moves or bumps it unless I do.

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Ghost...

Try to resetting power option
    or you run an apps that running in background that wakes it up

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Maybe its a strong independent laptop that don't need no man?

7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    dayum

remixedcat and Solaris17 say thanks.
  8. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it`s some peripherals, my webcam logitech when connetced to usb 2.0 doing the same

9. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Only peripheral is my wireless mouse. Still happening btw

10. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    1. Try to push any keyboard button... maybe some key stuck.
    2. Check out in bios Hardware boot state or somth like that, i don`t know exactly but there must be an option

11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well that is pretty weird! Maybe try and disable Wake on Lan in the bios if it is enabled.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    wireless mouse can definitely do it. disable it from being able to wake the pc.

Aquinus and 95Viper say thanks.
  13. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    look at your scheduled task... might be that anti virus doing scheduled scanning...

program waking up computer... alot of things but start with task schedules....

before you put your laptop into sleep, check or note down or even screen shot running processes using task manager.....

when it happens that it wakes up again, check task manager... anything new running, that is the one waking up computer...

windows 8 has alot of applets? cant remember the correct term for it....

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I did go into the mouse settings and it was checked and I made sure to uncheck it. However, still happens...

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    unplug the mouse and see if it happens. some mice show up multiple times as "HID" device. or even as a keyboard if they have key binding options available.

16. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Shall give it a go!

17. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    what if you go to sleep from the start menu?

personally i cant stand having lid features, sometimes i'd close it to clean something or get something from behind the laptop, 'oh let me shut the computer down for you'!!!, manual sleep/hibernate/shutdown for me...

or worse... those keyboards with a sleep button right above the arrow keys, i've used one of those, i have hit the button several times by accident, what a horrible design

18. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  19. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Will check it out! Also I noticed that last night it decided to wake itself up after I moved the mouse. Well when that happened I opened the lid (I close the lid to put it to sleep) and pushed the power button real quick to put it back to sleep. After doing that the moving of the mouse no longer woke it up?..

20. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Create a new Profile with Admin rights and re test and see if it happens again. Capture.JPG

Then reboot and log into new account and test. This will rid out software config issues with in the OS. If that fixes it then no worries we can show you how to move your old profile to the new one with out the OS settings following. ;-)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  21. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    If your computer is an Intel based CPU & chipset, it has the vPro technology.

If you rule out everything on your end that is waking up the computer, chances are someone or something remotely is doing it.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Secr...uld-Steal-Your-Ideas-at-Any-Time-385194.shtml

http://www.dailypaul.com/289567/hacked-cbs-computers-turning-themselves-on-at-night-then-off

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread971845/pg1

http://sagaciousnewsnetwork.com/sec...l-vpro-cpu-could-steal-your-ideas-at-any-time

http://www.popularresistance.org/new-intel-based-pcs-permanently-hackable

There are countless other articles on the web dealing with this, many are from foreign countries dealing with the privacy intrusion that BiG Bro of USA has gotten info from not just their citizens, but from remote laptops on Public networks used for business purposes.

Even the questionable millions BiG Bro has given Intel since the late 90s to enhance and make common on every processor is in question with the vPro technology. Is 1984 movie trivial compared to this? Reminds me of the rock band POLICE with every breath you take. The lyrics speak so much of Big Bro and our online privacy.

22. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Well recently I have noticed that the problem has stopped. Not sure why or what changed but it has. So far so good!

bmaverick says thanks.
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i'm leaning towards the mouse ;)

Arjai says thanks.