1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop died suggestions needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Altered, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I have a Gateway M-6866 Notebook That has died. I have never worked on a laptop so I dont know anything hands on. I have read on the net but nothing I found seemed like my case. Can someone help me with diagnosing this.

Here is the story. It acted like the hard drive might be going out for a week or so. Weird glitches I even thought it might be Windows. I was going to order a new drive for it I was so sure that was the problem. Being the school loaned/leased them we just put the laptop away and used theirs. Its been about a year id guess and I decided to see what was wrong. I plugged it it knowing the battery was fore sure dead and nothing. I tried removing the battery and checked all my power cord connections but still nothing. I mean not one light or even a hint of power. Where should I start with this? :confused:

This thing is like brand new it was my daughters for school and has barely any use and never abused. It still looks like its a few weeks old. So I am ruling out it was dropped on its head syndrome. :laugh:
  2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

remove battery or try one that is already charged if possible borrow one from a friend or colleague

remove the mouse and any other items that may be attached

check that you are using the correct AC adapter 65w [Part Number: 2528429R65-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter (CRU/EURP)] - If yes; ensure this is working or use another compatible AC adapter that you know works

If you still have no power then it is more than likely that the main board is damaged or it has loose or broken connections

atb (all the best)

Law-II
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    Altered says thanks.