1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop for School, what to get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by quasar923, Jun 21, 2010.

1. quasar923 Guest

I'm looking to spend under $750. Will be using the laptop in college, I might do some gaming, but mostly don't want it to lag during movies, and for it to download stuff fast. Would be nice to have an i5 cpu and more than 3 gigs ram. Ive been looking at these:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668591.php

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...vy756jR86Q5kH8XptXwKl64FJBVFWMyXJ!-1449870282

Im looking at the i5430M cpu or better.

Any info about macs? Any suggestions there? They're more expensive than the windows operating laptops with the same specs. Why?

Thanks for the help.
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was going say have a look at the one i got but seems like it's been changed which has risen the prices of it to.. I got mine for $700 which was a $100 off and about a month later they knocked another $50 of it but the new one even though it just seems like they just moved a few things costs $30 more than i payed for mine.

Gamings a no no prety much but runs HD no issue.

Maybe look for the older model might save you a $100 or so.

I got a Inspiron 1764 and it's been great for me.

Dell Inspiron 17R 17.3" ( R is the newer version )
    http://www.staples.com/StaplesProdu...ctId=336197&catalogIdentifier=2&cmArea=SEARCH

Thinking if you keep a eye on it they will sell it cheaper like they did with the one i got.
  3. Water Drop New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your not going to get a Macbook new for under $750. The cheapest is $999, and its not a bad machine, but certainly a few hundred bucks over priced.

I would recommend something in the 15-16" size because it wont be too small to watch a movie on, but not too big to carry to class/library/etc. The Dell laptop posted by AsRock looks pretty good for the price, but 17" is a bit big to carry around. I liked the old 15.4" laptop standard as it is a good size vs. performance ratio generally. Today, it seems with the 16:10 screens, the standard has become the 15.6" laptops. I'd configure some of the Dells on thier website, and the HPs and see who has the better deal. Then check out the Asus's on Newegg and such and see if that beats it.
  4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Acer AS5740G-6979 is really the only choice in your price range if you want a halfway decent gaming laptop.
  5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I think you can get an Acer with a HD 5650 and an i5. If you're lucky you might get an Asus for $750 with a HD 5730 and an i5 (it's usually at $800+ though).
  6. morpha

morpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    My personal Opinion is that you should never buy anything Acer. Their computers are so dodgy even Harvey Norman (Overpriced retail chain) refuses to sell them.
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have a acer ferrari that i bought about 3 years ago and its still chuggin along great except from the user damages (i broke a USB port when i left my keyboard plugged in and decided to get up.)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. morpha

morpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Acer's stuff is generally heaps cheaper than other brands and I've known several people who have all had issue with Acer brand laptops. I figured the two were related.
  9. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Acer is not a bad brand per se, and they know how to build great products (i.e the Ferrari) but when they go cheap they go really cheap. When something costs so much less than comparable setups from other brands, you know something is not up to par.
  10. morpha

morpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Australia at the very least. I have never walked into a store and seen a 'high quality' Acer branded computer.