1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop GT540M struggling with Havok physics?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by AngryMerchant, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    Im checking out YT videos of the game and performance results (of other players):

I guess Ill have to stick with medium :/

2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Absolution says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  3. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    adaptive v-sync? idk, ill check later today

Tried already.

4. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    Well there was nothing like that in the nv control panel. Something related to adaptive power usage, set that to maximum....

... didnt help.

In the end, I did the medium settings and everything was nice and ok at 29-30fps, 40+ indoors. Experimented a bit.

Post-Processing on Low increased frame rate by 4-5
    Lighting on Low increased frame rate by ~10.

So kept only lighting on low, PP high, everything high, shadows low, 2x AA, 1366x768 and getting around 25-29+ fps (kinda smooth). Still the same fps as 1280x768, somehow the lighting was having a major impact on the frame rate.

Happy now.

5. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Could try to OC the card a little using MSI Afterburner, helps heaps for me when playing games on my Mobility 5650 1GB they are somewhat similar in performance, could easily get 5+ frames improvement depending on how high you OC.

6. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    Nah, it already reaches 80C and even 90C when playing APB. Scared of overclocking a laptop.

7. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    A mobile card isn't MEANT to be compared to the performance levels of desktop parts, not until you're looking at a high-end gaming laptop and need comparison points. When someone asks for laptop recommendations, do you just say "Nah, the GTX 660 Ti kicks all their asses?"

In case anyone comes across this thread, taking out the battery and using AC power for games seems to have been really helpful for my problem. So that's about it.

8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    same issue that has been around since laptops were made, when on battery they half or even reduce performance by 3/4 of normal just to maintain battery life.

Course High End Gaming laptops are normally called desktop replacements.

for Your issue, depending on the cooling, you may want to consider, either a video or CPU upgrade or replacing the laptop with atleast a 570m inside. Or attempting a slight overclock. Or Reducing every Graphics detail till you find out a balanced combination of Resolution, AA/AF and other detail levels.

also a 540 is a 540 it aint gonna be near performance a 560 or greater so get used to it or do the above.

9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    After looking up the specs on the GT540M welcome to owning an 8600GTish performance. Even laptop check rates it at low/medium settings for games so it looks as though you are getting exactly what a low end entry level class GPU can give you.

Look into kicking the clockspeed to 740 and you will have performance closer to the 550M which is slightly better. It should at least be able to play most games fluently at medium.

eidairaman1 says thanks.