1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Hard Drive (I think power) Pins BROKEN !!! Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Nor1, Mar 3, 2014.

?

Are SSD's really worth it ??

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Nor1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So basically I have a laptop and one of the (I think power) pins broke ( check yourself on the image ) . Is this problem fixable as that laptop is fairly good and I would like to be able to use it . Thx for the help !! laptoppins.jpg

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It appears one broke off the motherboard? You need to re-solder the pin, that will take some skill. Know anyone who may be able to help you?

3. Nor1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is that all you have to do ?? I dont know anyone though. Can't do it myself because that pin is so tiny. Way too hard. Is there any other way of powering the hard drive ??

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Really hard to say what pin you broke, it looks like a 30-pin connector. If it does go to the hard drive, it's probably an IDE interface? I'm sure some brands provide power and data through the same cable, while others have separate data and power. Can't tell. You need a pro.

5. Nor1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will breaking one pin cause all the rest to not work ?? The hard drive is a Hitachi (dont remember exactly what model). And I think I broke something much worse than hard drive power !! The cable that the pins were connected to was a cable to connect the mainboard to the soundboard !! Link= http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/72-59965-11780/Fujitsu-SIEMENS-Amilo-L7320-Various-Item.html !

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That link appears to be for a 15 pin audio cable?

7. Nor1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    30 pins on the mainboard but the cable only uses 15, yes. It goes from the mainboard to the soundboard with usb 2.0 ports and the headphone and mic jacks.