1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop HDD - help

Discussion in 'Storage' started by lZKoce, Nov 7, 2012.

1. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I am opening a topic about a problem I may or may not have. Here's the details. I bought a new HDD for my laptop on 22 sept. 2012, so it's a little more than a month since I have it. The model is this one: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1420/1/

The regular operating temperature of the HDD I get is 40 degrees.
    The HDD is configured as ACHI, during my Win7 x64bit installation.

The reason I am writing: the first two weeks, when I was using HWinfo64 and Crystal disk, the drive would report straight away. After the first two-three weeks, when I run HWinfo64 and it reaches the scanning of IDE/SCSI drives, it hangs says "not responding" and then after about 30 seconds finishes hardware scannig and reports results. Same thing happens with Crystaldisk. Sometimes it says "Health status: unknown" - as opposed to "Good".

This is from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Lenovo Solution Center:

[​IMG]

I don't stress my laptop with what I do: word, browsing, movies. The most stresfull thing on it is StarCraft2, League of Legends and DeadSpace 2, so I can't really notice a performance drop or something, but I start to think the S.M.A.R.T reporting system of the HDD is giving some malfunction. Am I trippin>? or there really is something>?
  2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Well, the drive temps look ok.

Try defragging the drive and check it for errors.

The only thing that is bothering me, is that the Automatic Acoustic Management is showing Not Supported: inactive.
    And, I do believe on that drive it should be supported and active, unless you turned it off.
    My WD Scorpio Black has it and it is active.

You might want to download the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Software an run a complete test, if it does not pass RMA it.

Check the connections... re-seat the drive

However, it is possible the drive is dying slowly and, maybe the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics will let you know..
  3. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot. I DLed the program and run the extended test for 1 hour and a half. Seems OK. I will re-seated it today just in case. And since I am going to open the lid I might as well change the thermal compound of the CPU/GPU. I am thinking may be on the next fresh install I'll just turn off the ACHI and go with the IDE mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    95Viper says thanks.
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget to try defragging it.
    And.you may wanna try CCleaner(it is free to use) or something similar to get rid of any un-needed files/trash.