1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Internet to PC

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Midnite8, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Midnite8

Thanks Received:
    I am having trouble configuring ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) through my laptop to PC. I am using a crossover cable. I went to:
    Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Right-Clicked my Wireless Network Connection/Properties/TCP(IPv4) and manually entered the IPv4 192.168.1.105
    Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway:192.168.1.254

Then I went to my PC and did the same, I still do not get internet connection from the PC.

After I do this, I get a little window that pops up saying:
    Warning-Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network (such as intranet or internet). They will not function when the gateways are on two seperate disjoint networks (such as one on your intranet and one on your Internet). Do you want to save this configuration?

I click Yes.

After that I don't get connection from my laptop.

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    A default gateway is what you use to tell a device where to send traffic if it does not know the network destination. So enter a gateway on the wireless of the laptop. The wired of the laptop should be a static IP of a different network(do not set a gateway for this address). The wired on the desktop should be in the same network as the wired on the laptop and give it a gateway of the laptop wired IP.

3. Midnite8

Thanks Received:
    I just bridged the connections together lol and it works

4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Bridging can be flaky, a friend of mine did it and said it disconnects on him. so just keep an eye on it. PCI wireless cars arent terribly expensive if it doesnt work out so well

5. Midnite8

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was just messing around with bridging cause I didn't have a NIC card for my desktop but today I bought one so it's all good.