1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

laptop is slow after format.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by takomako, May 9, 2014.

1. takomako

Thanks Received:
    hey guys, i recently formated my laptop (asus k55dr {a8}) cause it was really slow.
    now it seems to go faster than before but still laggy at many places. got the latest drivers 14.4.
    the cpu is working at 4% so it is not a cpu overload or something. my guess was the hard drive.
    is there any way to check if my hard drive is faulty? i know cheap laptops meant to be slow but not making you want to smash on the wall. :)
    thnx in advance for all your responses and advises.

2. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    What hdd model have the laptop?

3. takomako

Thanks Received:
    i don't know, i guess a cheap one. but the point is that it was faster the 1st time i installed windows and now its not.

4. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Put Aida64 to see and write here the model of hdd...

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'd use HD Tach:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hdtach.html

If the read/write performance is greater than 60 MiB, I bet there's either a driver missing (e.g. graphics driver) or the newer driver you're using doesn't work so well with older hardware. To check drivers, go into the Device Manager and look through them. If the driver was made by Microsoft, that's a generic driver and the manufacturer (hardware and/or computer) may have a better one available.

takomako says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. takomako

Thanks Received:
    hey just wanted to say that my laptop is mostly back to normal. i blew the dust, installed some doctors :cool: and they started working for a full day. apparently drive C: was 20% fragmented. i don't know if that is much or if fragmentation can still exist after 2 formats :eek: but it seems like it did the job.

7. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    It could be an advanced format drive with an alignment issue, but unless you used XP to format it I don't see that being the case...

takomako says thanks.
  8. takomako

Thanks Received:
    it could be my girl friend who used my laptop all winter clicking on every facebook trolling spam virus spyware malware and i don't know what else....:p