1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop LCD's to desktop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tater, Sep 23, 2007.

1. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have recently aquired 3 laptop's 2 are of no interest to me (p-2 w/ 256mb ram..no hdd's)... then one is a p-3 1.2ghz w/ 512mb ram no hdd.. the p-3 i dont wanna mess with but the 2 p-2's i would love it if i could find a way to hook there lcd monitors to a desktop of mine.. is this possible? im not looking for a software resolution seeing as the computers have no os. im looking for a hardware solution
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    That though has crossed my mind a time or two and I don't think that it's possible. If you wanted to get rid of them, Poge wants craptops in the for sale area.
  3. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    tater says thanks.
  4. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was pretty aware of the differences. but thanks for the link
  5. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Yup, it was just that if you can email that company (Kontron?), you may be able to get one of those adapters, if you can, you could hook the lvds ribbon cable up to it and make your old laptop monitor into a LCD for a desktop, as long as you can power the screen that is.
  6. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering the price drop in LCD Screens is it worth buying that adapter ?
    Not to mention the difficulty to place it.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I've thought about that too.. The ggod thing with laptop monitors is that they are already taken apart. I had an idea that included a laptop monitor forged with a desk, but it didn't work out very well.. It's easier to buy a new desktop screen though..
  8. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it, I don't know how much they actually cost. But for me when I was trying to it was a project thing, I wanted to do it just to do it. but I could not get anyone to sell me just one of those adapters at a good price and I could not find the correct power inverter thing for my lcd panel, so I dropped the project. :\

hahaha, I think we all at least think about using a laptop lcd at some point, :)
  9. banditboogie New Member

Thanks Received:
    what about just making a mp3 center, make a case from mdf and paint it, flip the laptop screen and place it in the case with the computer, and voila, with linux youve got a web controllable mediaplayer, with a really large playlist display
  10. banditboogie New Member

Thanks Received:
    ... and if you put a plexiglass window in the front, you can make it look like a small but bulky imac clone hangning on your wall (i´m making one for my self, it´takes a days work
  11. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    In order to "Flip" the screen he shout brake it from the rest of the body, flip it and then somehow put a power switch on the MDF in order to power that thing on etc etc etc. Could look nice but i doubt it is worth the fuzz.
  12. banditboogie New Member

Thanks Received:
    that is correct, otherwise flipping it would be kind of hard, i am using a big sheet of tick white pe on the plexiglas, with a hole cut out in the size of the iewable part of he scren, this makes a nicefinish, th case is painted with hi-gloss white
  13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    So, you actually did this? Do you have some pictures of it? Because that media-player idea was very cool. Sure, lot's of fuzz, but it sorta adds many points to your geek-pool. ;)
  14. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    with an 19' lcd cost about 150-160 euros it is worth about it?
    if you make it though you can record the process and put it on youtube for everyone to learn how
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It's probably not worth it, but it's way cool. :cool:
  16. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    agreed
  17. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Not all laptops use LVDS, however it is quite common. Like 2-3 years ago converters were extremely expensive. However, if you can get a data sheet of the panel with the right pinout you could connect it directly to a Vesa Feature Connector, though recent cards don't have one.

Alternatively you could buy one of those 3Dlabs cards that used to be in some SGI workstations (working with the SGI 1600SW), they're PCI cards, nothing special, LVDS though.

Either way you'll end up with a crap videocard for the panel :)
  18. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. Really? If you only want a light mediaplayer it doesn't really matter the card is crappy..

However, I found this:

Hmm..