• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop locks up when running multiple programs

Thrall

So i've had my Dell XPS 13 for about 2 months now and it's worked great, except for one thing. When i have the computer on any power mode that puts the cpu at 100% power and am running a few applications at once and have it on a laptop cooler the computer will lock up randomly. The screen is just frozen but the fans are still running and no key combination will unlock it. I've tried seeing if the cpu temps are too high by running prime95 with the laptop cooler and i get around 74 C from speedfan and even after a few hours of this and the computer is still stable. I'm running 64-bit vista premium, the laptop has 4gb of ddr3 memory, a 2.66ghz p9600 cpu, a 7200 rpm drive, and a 9400 + 9200 graphics card. Although it's hard to get the problem to happen within a few minutes i can get it to happen when running malwarebytes, spybot, super-anispyware, and windows defender scanning at the same time, ripping a dvd using handbrake, or utorrenting all night. I know that i's spyware and virus free and when it locks up i pick it up and feel around it for excessive warmth but can't really find any. Also, it doesn't ever lockup during gaming. Can you please help me?

System Name ThinkPad T410
Processor Intel Core i5 540M
Motherboard Lenovo 2522DM1
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) nVidia NVS 3100M
Storage 128GB SSD
Display(s) 1440x900
Software Windows 8.1 64bit
TRhis souns like a software problem, and vista isn't exactly know for its stability. It could be saome drivers, try disabling devices one a t a time while doing the thingd you said lock it up, it might take a while but worth a try. IM not sure how to get into device manager with vista so you'll have to search around for how to get to device manager. Perhaps control panel & administrative tool.

PS. Those temps seem kinda high?!?!
Maybe not for a laptop, im used to desktops

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
What laptop?

Could be driver or software, but I would lean toward cpu or gpu heat problems. Run real temp and GPUz, or hwmonitor; while you run occt or some other stressing tools. Watch the temps.

Might want to run a chkdsk, and memset test, too.
Try it on battery and with the psu plugged in.
:)

Thrall

It ended up that Dell gave me a bios update that fixed it.