1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop motherboard problem. Please help.

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by itsakjt, Feb 3, 2013.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    So I have got a HP 430 laptop. Recently, its HDMI port stopped working. I cleaned it but in vain. So I opened it and found out that one of the components as highlighted in the picture shown has come apart. Under the component I can see coils.

[​IMG]

So it must be a resistor. I joined the contacts directly with copper wire. Now the port is working but there are artifacts in the screen and the screen flickers very much(the signal comes and goes off). The cable is perfect as I tested it with my desktop. I am connecting the cable to a 22" Samsung LA B480 TV. Any fix for this? Please help.
  2. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I don't know the size of the surface mounted resistors, or if you are skilled with the soldering iron.. But, if you have a good eye, stable hands and a good soldering iron, maybe if you can figure out the exact resistors that should be there - buy some new and solder them back on?

Perhaps that's why there are artifacts - no resistors. I know that the tricky part is to get both ends of them to "attach" at the same time. For this, I had to buy a new soldering tip, dremel it in the middle so I could solder both sides at the same time.

Note, the one closest to the capacitor - solder that one first, since if you solder the other one first it will become difficult holding the one closest to the capacitor in place. I use a fine tweezer for the ones that are too small to be held in place by other tools.
  3. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    What's that picture you posted got to do with a laptop? Ignoring the fact that you posted a picture of a desktop motherboard, the components you highlighted aren't necessarily SMD resistors. It's hard to tell because they're kinda blurry and small in the picture, but they could be capacitors. And speaking of caps, I see a bulging one between the second and third white PCI slot from the left. My guess, from the looks of it, is it's an OST RLX 6.3V x 1000uF, but I may be wrong...
  4. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the confusion but the picture shown is from a desktop motherboard. I don't have a good camera and I could not find the any picture of the component either. I am trying out separate resistors. Wish me luck.
  5. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    Im glad someone pointed this out..it was the first thing i noticed!haha!

:toast: