1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

laptop not booting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by moocow0463, Jul 20, 2008.

1. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    ok i posted this in another area and we cant seem to quite figure out the problem, my laptop wont boot with the battery in our out. the light stays on the lid and the power button is orange (like it is in standby) the lower tray gets warm like the computer is running but its not making any noise the hd spins a few times and stops, the warranty is no longer active for it so taking it to tech support is out of the questions :confused:

2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a faulty hard drive. You could try to replace it since you are out of warranty. And if thats not it, it could be a motherboard problem.

3. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Does it POST? (show the pre-windows loading information)
    If so, then its probably a hard drive problem.
    If not, then it could be the motherboard as Cheese Danish said, or it could be the RAM.
    Also, does it beep when you switch it on?

4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's like it's in standby, so it doesn't post.

Remove the memory (assuming it has none on board) and see if it gives memory errors. If it does You could try a single memory module if there are multiple or using another module. If not the motherboard or CPU could be defective. If the option of replacing the CPU exists you could try this, though in this case I would suspect the motherboard which usually isn't a real option to replace.