1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop or Console

Discussion in 'Games' started by Damian^, Jun 30, 2010.

?

Laptop or console

1. laptop (gaming)

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Console

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys im having a hard time deciding what i should get for my graduation present. It's either going to be a laptop or a console. Now it's just deciding what to get.

For startes; Why i want one of these devices.

Laptop:
    College - I plan on majoring either in Journalism or something having to do with computers (maybe programming). having a laptop is a MAJOR asset for both of these subjects. The only setback here is that I will probably take my desktop with me to college. But still having a laptop will help me out during my classes.

The internet is my second home, so it's hard to be with out it, as nerdy as that sounds lol.

I like the idea of having a laptop because it gives me something to do on the road, or just having a mobile computer with me.

I also might get a gaming laptop, just for the fun of it. I like to attend LAN parties so if i do get a laptop i will probably get one that has a decent graphics card.

Console:
    It's been a while since i have owned a console, I LOVED my PS2 when i would use it. Used it almost every day!

Exclusive console games. Sometimes i find myself really wanting to try out console games, mainly Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War, Killzone etc (Choosing between a PS3 and an XBOX 360 is something else, although if you want to suggest also what console i should get, go ahead:))

A console would also be nice to have in a dorm when i have no work, homework and just want to kill time.

Having a console will also give me an incentive to purchase an HDTV, and I am a big move person. So this goes hand in hand.

So what do you guys think. Should i get myself a laptop or a console. If you need any more details ask me.

-D

2. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    It definitely sounds like you'll get more practical use out of a laptop for college. I know that it's nice to have a gaming console but for either of those majors I think having a laptop to use in class would be a really good thing. If you're going to have your gaming desktop with you as well in college, I don't see much point in getting a gaming laptop. You'd probably be better off finding something that's very portable and durable, as well as fast. Plus, everyone knows that LAN's are more fun when you can show off your custom gaming rig there right? :p

Maybe put a poll in the thread?

Damian^ says thanks.
  3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Another vote for a gaming laptop.

4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Gaming and laptop are two words that don't go together. You have a PC, game on that. Go console (PS3 would be my call for all the OTHER things it can do) or get a lightweight lappy for lugging around to classes. A "gaming laptop" would be heavy and a pain to lug around.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  5. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming PC + CULV laptop

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Laptop then you have the best of both worlds. PC when not busy and Laptop when you are :).

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  7. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, your joking right? Here is a post I made for another forum I will now share.

My laptop is Not a pain to lug around. I have a nice case for it, and they do have batteries. It is a standard size laptop that weighs 6 pounds.

~~~~~~~~~~
    " 80 Great Games that run well on a Cheap Laptop

So you have always been told laptops aren't made for gaming.

I am going to prove that wrong. My laptop has a single core AMD processor and an ATI 4200 HD integrated graphics chip for video with 128 MB of dedicated ram, shared up tp 1 gigabyte. This is considered to be a weak graphics chip.

I do consider this rig a Gaming Laptop and I'll tell you why. It may not play all the newest games out there for 2009 and 2010 but there are Hundreds of Great games it will play.. and play nicely. The Xbox is considered a Gaming Console, but It won't play all the higher end games the Xbox 360 will play. Likewise, I can in good conscience think of my rig as a Gaming Laptop. Plus, many of these games are much better than what you can get for an XBox 360 or PS3. Great games plus more functionality in a portable unit. The laptop is truely King.

Most people buy better laptops than this one, and I say if I can have hours of gaming fun with my rig's specs, You can too!

Here is a list of my favorite games that all have good to great graphics that I can run on my cheap 350 dollar laptop. (Bought new this year)

All were tested on Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium with 4 gigabytes of DDR2 ram. All of these games should play well under Windows XP and Vista 32 and 64 bits.

All of the PC games that play on medium settings look at least as good as on a console, many times even better.

Shop around. many of today's laptops are upgradeable - even the graphics chip, but like me, a good laptop with a good processor and Ram proves you don't have to have the best graphics chip to play these games well.

(On many of these games I have added Enhancement Mods to make the games look feel and play better than the originals. If you Google search you can find these. If you don't own the game, sorry I can't help you. You will just have to find a place to purchase the game on your own. With a few exceptions)

1994 - 1999 - These are simply the oldest and best classics that really were the founders of modern gaming. These should run on any laptop that can run XP.

Non Graphical Text Adventure Games - I mention these because they are classic and will run on anything and are tons of fun and very challenging.
    ZORK 1, 2 and 3 - 1990 -1993

Heck I love and play all of the Infocom text adventure games and they can all be found free on net due to defunct company. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork Get Them HERE: http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/ Even has a Mac version!

You can download tons of free text adventure games, ( called Interactive Fiction Games) from many places on the web, but I suggest you look at the Infocom Wikipedia page and The Interactive Fiction Archive. ( Infocom even has some great graphical adventures if you can find them)

Classic Shooters: ( All High Settings for these games)

Quake 1 Enhanced - 1996 - new textures and models
    Heretic 1 - 1994 - Enhanced new textures and models
    Hexen 2 - 1997

Redneck Rampage Collection - 1997 - ( 3 games)
    Includes - Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Arkansas and Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66. Available at GOG.com for only 6 US Dollars. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/red [...] collection

System Shock 2 - 1997 Enhanced - New textures and models
    Half Life - 1998

Flight/Space Sim:

FreeSpace 1 The Great War - 1998
    Freespace 2 - 1999

Non Classic Flight Sim:

HardWar: The Future is Greedy - 1998 + Mods and patches

More Info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwar_(video_game)

This game can be legally downloaded from Captain Zedo's Hardwar site because the company is defunct and no one owns the rights to the game who is still in business. The dev team members even wrote and released patches for the game long after the company went under. Almost no one has heard of this game but it has a very strong cult following. Good graphics and plays well on anything. Get it HERE --> http://zedo.hardwar.org.uk/

Intro Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg34gunxLR4
    Gameplay 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9jdw...eature=related
    Gameplay 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_b9...eature=related

2000 - 2003 - Now the graphics start to get a little better. (All High Settings for these games)

Shooters:

Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child - 2000 - Awesome KISS ( as in the Rock Band) adventure FPS with great KISS music! A real Cult Classic.
    Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 - 2000 - Another great game from the Metal genre. This time a 3rd person shooter.
    Thief: The Dark Project - 1998
    Thief: The Metal Age - 2000
    Star Trek Deep Space 9 The Fallen - 2000
    Deus Ex - 2001 - Enhanced with EBN Series and New Vision Mods + Other new model packs
    Return to Castle Wolfe3nstein - 2001
    Star Trek Elite Force 1 - 2000
    Star Trek Elite Force 2 - 2002
    Aliens VS Predator 2 : Primal Hunt - 2002
    007 Nightfire - 2002
    No One Lives Forever : The Operative - GOTY - 2000
    No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.S Way - 2002
    Solider of Fortune 2 Double Helix - 2002
    Splinter Cell - 2002
    Star Wars Jedi Outcast - 2002
    Star Wars Jedi Academy - 2003
    Devastation - 2003
    Max Payne - 2001
    Max Payne 2 - 2003
    Red Faction - 2001
    Red Faction 2 - 2003
    Iron Storm - 2002
    Postal 2 Share The Pain + Mods and expansions - 2003
    Tron 2.0 - 2003 - Epic Game!
    Chaser - 2003
    Halo - Combat Evovled - 2003

RPG's:

Arx Fatalis - 2002
    Morrowind GOTY- 2002 - Enhanced New texture and models

Flight/Space Sim:

Tachyon: The Fringe - 2001 - Awesome humor from Bruce Campbell
    Star Wars X-Wing Alliance 2001

Sports:

Virtual Pool 3

2004 - Present - For most of these the graphics really take off. These I play on medium settings some with a combo of low/medium settings - You just have to find your balance. I have very few games I need only low settings for ( Code of Honor 3 - it's worse than Crysis).

Shooters:

Deus Ex: Invisible War - 2004 - Medium Settings
    Halo 2 - 2004 - Medium Settings
    Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - 2004 - Medium
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 2005 Low - Medium

Half Life 2 - Episodes 1, 2 and 3 - 2004 - This engine really runs well on my card. I use medium to high settings. For all the eye candy it gives it doesn't seem to be that demanding on hardware.

Half Life 1 Source Enhanced - 1998/2004 - It's Half Life 1 on Half Life 2's Source engine with enhanced texture and model mods! I can use all high settings on this one.
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2004 - Uses Source engine - medium to high settings
    Thief: Deadly Shadows - 2004 - Medium Settings
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - 2004 - Medium Settings
    Far Cry - 2004- Medium Settings
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 2004 - Medium Settings
    Doom 3 - 2004 - Medium settings
    Project Snowblind - 2005 - Medium Settings
    Pariah - 2005 - Medium Settings
    Prey - 2006 - Uses an enhanced Doom 3 engine - Medium Settings
    Fallout 3 - Medium settings
    Crysis - 2007 Medium settings
    Crysis Warhead - 2007 Medium settings

People find it hard to believe that I can play Crysis on medium settings with smooth play. It has low system requirements for Direct X 9. "Intel Pentium 4 (2.8GHZ for XP ; 3.0GHZ for Vista) 1 GB RAM for XP ; 2 GB RAM for Vista. DirectX 9.0c Compatible Graphics card with 256 MB VRAM" If I do turn down some settings to Low they are; Shadows, Water, and Volumetric Effects Quality. You can hardly tell the difference and you have saved yourself loads of extra processing power. All other settings on medium. But I only have to do this if my PC has been running for a while. The game still looks Great for playing on a laptop.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl - 2007 - Medium settings
    Alpha Prime - 2007- Medium settings
    Turok - 2007 - Medium settings
    Portal - 2007- Non Steam version - Medium to high settings
    Code of Honor 3 - 2009 (Low settings)
    Dark Salvation - 2009 - Uses the idTech 3 engine, so all High settings.
    Hunting Unlimited 2010 - Actually I can run all the Hunting Unlimited games on high settings because they all use a very old engine. There are 7 games in the series but I only own 5 of them.

Singularity - 2010 Meduim settings

RPG's:

Gothic 3 - 2006 Enhanced with community patches, new textures and models. Medium settings.
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - 2006 - Uses the Source Engine, but has textures with a little more detail. I can play on medium settings in this epic game.
    Oblivion - 2006 - Medium settings.
    Two Worlds - 2007 - Patched with community patches for bug fixes. Medium Settings.

Google Earth - Not a game but worth mentioning that it runs great.

There are tons more games that will play well on my cheap laptop, that I haven't added to the list yet. A bunch from 2010. There's a lot more that will work, but these are the ones I own that I have tested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This laptop cost me 350.00 at Wal-Mart with 2 gigs of ram and I spend another 50 bucks for another 2 gig stick. If you can get at least as good as I have or even better, then you can't go wrong - Especially if your laptop can be upgraded - I'd rather spend $$$ upgrading my laptop then having to purchase a whole new console a couple of years later because you can get so much more out of a laptop than playing games. Take that sucker anywhere.. a Big Plus. Why let a console tie you down to only gaming at home?

You say, " Having a console will also give me an incentive to purchase an HDTV, and I am a big move person. So this goes hand in hand.
    "
    I watch high Def movies on my laptop. I actually get them off the net. It has a 16 inch wide screen display so it's not bad, But with a laptop you can still get a larger high def TV and play the movies through the laptop. You can even use the TV as your computer screen for playing games and watching online tv like You Tube and Hulu. ( you have to make sure it has the right connections when you buy the laptop)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Black Panther says thanks.
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get a DSLR instead, it will improve your fitness (carrying X kgs of gear up and down mountains) and you have an excuse to chat up that hot girl over the corner.

9. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
    Laptop has more uses and portability.

10. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    What Fourstaff said. But I'd get a laptop, install a PSX emulator and go :D

11. Oscnn

Oscnn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go with gaming laptop.

12. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    First off, it's you're. If you're going to make an argument and take a crack at me, don't look silly in the first sentence.

Secondly, for me, gaming doesn't mean 5-8 year old games at crippled settings so that the game doesn't run as a slideshow. Besides, how much gaming do you seriously do away from home? Do you regularly plop down at the library for a couple hours for a run at Half Life 1 or Doom 3? It could actually work against you since you have that as a possibility on your laptop instead of getting your work done.

13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    get an affordable laptop for laptop reasons and buy a console. This will probably be cheaper than a gaming laptop.

Yes there goes lan parties into the toilet but thats my recommendation.

14. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    One thing to remember. Decent gaming laptops cost UBER BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

15. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what kind of games you'll play.

But a ~1200$ 15-16" laptop will play new games for a lot longer than any current console.

Besides, laptops today use the exact same convenient connections to a large TV screen as consoles (HDMI, optical output) and you can even use the same controllers.
    Plus, multi-platform games will look a lot better with a gaming laptop than a console, no doubt about that.

Console games are better prepared to play with friends, but a laptop you can take to lanparties..

If you're looking to play lots of fighting games, final fantasies and such, console is what you want.
    FPSs, Strategy, MMORPG, simulators, and others, PC is what you want.

16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    get a cheap laptop and a console, gaming laptops with something decent are pretty expensive

I say that and I hate consoles, but in every right, they get the job done, parts for desktops are cheap now but laptops for gaming are just expensive unless you get a barebones laptop that supports mxm and find the mxm card cheap somewhere but that opens up the compatibility worm.

17. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    maybe not a huge gaming laptop but not a crappy little net book either, not good what so ever for fast typing tried to use my gf's one. Im at uni and the lack of laptop realy is a kick in the but it would be so much with just writing notes and being able to nip on the net to find something to help go with my notes. Plus you have a rather nice rig there thats perfectly capable of gaming, if you prefer console gaming theres many games that will use a controller.

just my opinion

18. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disagree.

A $800/700€ laptop with a Mobility HD5650 + Core i5 plays pretty much any game with better graphics than its console counterpart.

Plus, there'll be all those laptops with 4-core AMD CPUs which should come at some very competitive prices.

19. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    I also agree on getting the console and buy a cheap laptop; with the xbox 360 slim, it seems current console are here to stay a tad longer, and when you had enough with your cheap laptop, you can just buy a new cheap laptop and sell the old one.

20. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Get a console. I took my laptop AND desktop to Uni, and I NEVER used the laptop. The only thing you need in a lecture is a pen and paper. You can write quicker than you type and uses less concentration.
    Get a console, if you want the gaming experience then XBOX360, if you want the exclusives get the PS3. HOWEVER the PS3 will be more expensive on individual games.

21. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    core I5 is a good cpu but the mobility HD5650 is about on par with the HD5550(GDDR3) desktop version, you can game on it but at the res that alot of laptops come with now which is about 1600x900/1680x1050+ your going to be playing on medium or lower most of the time, and alot of console games are about as good as medium settings in my opinion.

its the problem with laptops you can find a laptop with a good cpu but finding one with a good paired gpu at a reasonable price for a laptop thats reliable is hard, unless you buy a mxm laptop used.

for that 800 bucks he could get a decent laptop for movies and working on papers and a 360 and still have money left over

22. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't see how people can say that anymore. Both consoles launch their full retail games at $60 and used game prices deteriorate at about the same rate. It was only at the PS3's launch that this was true, but now that there are plenty of games for it this is no longer the case.

My new recommendation: Get a lightweight, thin, durable, good-typing laptop that's pretty fast and put Ubuntu or any other good Linux distro on it to keep you focused. Unless you're the kind of guy who can focus with a lot of distractions. Personally, I feel like I'm in a work-orientated bubble while running Ubuntu, and that makes it really easy for me to focus on getting work done. Then, since you didn't spend all your dough on a "gaming laptop" you can get a PS3 Slim :D If you've got a good PC, it isn't worth it to get an Xbox as they basically have the same games and the 360 exclusives are not worth it (IMO of course).

23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Why the hell are you even considering a laptop?!?! If you're taking your desktop in your specs, although it doesn't say what graphics card you have I bet it's going to play a lot of recent games.

I can GUARANTEE that you wont use your laptop in lectures. It's absolutely not at all worth getting. If you want to work in uni, get a decent USB-pendrive.

Hell I wouldn't even get the desktop, ask for some new speakers/headphones to listen to music whilst you work or something.

24. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much all the medium range laptops come with 1366*768, which the Mobility HD5650 can handle well enough.

Yes, it does. See it's a 785G motherboard? I'd say he's using the HD4200 in it.

Not for lessons, but having a laptop is absolutely essential for group assignemts. People meet up in some place and everyone brings their own laptop.
    He won't be able to do that with a desktop and a console.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  25. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Ah yea, missed that on the cursory glance.

Still think a Laptop is a waste of money. If he is doing group stuff on it then a cheap little netbook would be more than capable. Go for the one with the longest battery life. Finding a socket to plug it in can be a PITA.

Whenever I did group stuff I always only took a pen and notebook with me. I don't even know what kind of group work would involve EVERY member of the group having a laptop.