• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop or Console

Laptop or console

• laptop (gaming)

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Console

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
get the lappy for college and just use it for browsing and word processing. odds are, one of your dorm mates will have a console and you can use his.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Console.

If you get a laptop for gaming you might find yourself wanting to upgrade it after 6 months... but it won't make sense to spend like $1000 to get the next-gen gpu/s...

Believe me I speak from experience.

I bought a gaming laptop to be able to take over to the summer house - it was a stupid decision. It'd have been much cheaper to buy parts and make a desktop build. And a desktop is easily (and relatively cheaply) upgradable.

Best choice imo would be to buy the best laptop you can with the best cpu you can afford. That way it will last. It might suck for gaming, but so would a 4K laptop after a year or so........
Though it mightn't be that good for gaming, it'd be perfect for everything else and will last you at least 3+ years depending on your expectations.

For gaming, either use the desktop or get a console.
Would you really be needing a console if you've got a decent gaming desktop...?

Last edited:
System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
It would be plain stupid to get a console over a laptop for college.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
get the lappy for college and just use it for browsing and word processing. odds are, one of your dorm mates will have a console and you can use his.

QFT, unless everybody is waiting for the other to make the purchase.... :p

Move your current desktop to your dorm and tada! You have both PC AND console. Now, time to choose which camera you want ;)

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
If he is doing group stuff on it then a cheap little netbook would be more than capable. Go for the one with the longest battery life. Finding a socket to plug it in can be a PITA.

Dude.. have you ever tried to produce some actual work in a 10" 1024*600 screen?

I did try, in my EeePC, and it's a total productivity suicide.

If he's doing journalism or programming, he's going to write a lot and spend many hours looking at that screen.
You don't want to do that in a tiny screen and a cramped keyboard.

Whenever I did group stuff I always only took a pen and notebook with me.

How many decades ago where you in college?
During the whole time I was in college (finished this year), I never did any group work with pen and paper.

I don't even know what kind of group work would involve EVERY member of the group having a laptop.
Two words: google docs.

Plus, there's the fact that if he's doing programming, he'll need his own machine to compile his work during the group sessions.

Last edited:
System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Dude.. have you ever tried to produce some actual work in a 10" 1024*600 screen?

If he's doing journalism or programming, he's going to write a lot and spend many hours looking at that screen.

During the whole time I was in college (finished this year), I never did any group work with pen and paper.

Plus, there's the fact that if he's doing programming, he'll need his own machine to compile his work during the group sessions.

In Uni right now mate. Progressing onto second year of Biomedical Science, i'm 22 and I'm a student who uses paper because it's so much easier than going:

"hold on hold on, lemme just call up <insert program> so i can type all that crap up"

Instead I go:

"cool, yea got that" then on the way home I think about it and write it all up on this here desktop.

John Phoenix

gaming doesn't mean 5-8 year old games at crippled settings so that the game doesn't run as a slideshow. Besides, how much gaming do you seriously do away from home? Do you regularly plop down at the library for a couple hours for a run at Half Life 1 or Doom 3? It could actually work against you since you have that as a possibility on your laptop instead of getting your work done.

None of my games run like a slideshow but all have full fluent framerates. Only a few of the games use lower settings, I don't consider that crippled. Even a lot of desktop PC's with good cards like my ATI 5750 1 gig DDR5, has trouble playing some games on all high settings. It depends on how optimized the game is for the PC. The worst games on my laptop are really bad console ports to begin with.

I don't drive so I bring my laptop everywhere and I play games almost everywhere I go. I have no work to do. I'm retired :) All the time in the world to just play PC games.

If you notice, many of these games from the past recent years are still very popular and are still played by tons of people.. even the older ones. You may not wish to play games that didn't come out yesterday, but I say your missing out on some great games. Like I said, I have many 2010 (2008 and 2009) games that play great that didn't get added to the list yet.. Plus you can mod PC games. Can't do that with a console, and more games are available for PC than any other platform. When I had the choice to get a laptop or a console.. the laptop easily won. The main reason I got it was because I wanted a portable gaming platform that was more powerful than the other hand held gaming devices.

Sure people can buy a top of the line gaming laptop if they want to and can afford it, but my post above proves you can game just as nicely for cheaper.. a lot of the high end gaming laptop stuff is just hype to get you to spend $$$.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
1) Journalism is impossible without a computer and journalists have to go where the story is (requires mobility). Today, a journalist without a laptop is like an artist without a canvas. Pen and paper just doesn't work anymore in the 24-hour news cycle the world is quickly adapting.

2) You can rent consoles or borrow a friends' when he/she gets tired of it.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Buy a laptop with it's focus on battery life and productivity, then buy a ps3 later. Don't go gaming laptop. I bought a mid range gaming laptop with an 8600GT and I regret it. I have to lower detail to get acceptable framerates, and when it's off the mains, battery life is terrible compared to a lappy with integrated.

And I say PS3 as the console because it is so versatile. Makes a great BD and network media player. Plus, online is free.

@John Phoenix - all that proves is that you are not sensitive to low framerates. I am, and the 4200 is NOT capable of decent gaming for me on modern games. He should stick to games on the desktop, and stick to productivity on the laptop. That would be his cheapest solution.

Damian^

System Name Quad Damage
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965
Motherboard MSI 785GM-E65
Cooling Thermaltake Contac 29
Memory DDR3 6gb 1533Mhz
Video Card(s) 9800gt (HD4200 for now)
Storage Seagate 250GB 7200RPM/Hitatchi 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216 22" (1680X1050)
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Vista Home Premium 64bit
get an affordable laptop for laptop reasons and buy a console. This will probably be cheaper than a gaming laptop.

Yes there goes lan parties into the toilet but thats my recommendation.

Console.

If you get a laptop for gaming you might find yourself wanting to upgrade it after 6 months... but it won't make sense to spend like $1000 to get the next-gen gpu/s...

Believe me I speak from experience.

I bought a gaming laptop to be able to take over to the summer house - it was a stupid decision. It'd have been much cheaper to buy parts and make a desktop build. And a desktop is easily (and relatively cheaply) upgradable.

Best choice imo would be to buy the best laptop you can with the best cpu you can afford. That way it will last. It might suck for gaming, but so would a 4K laptop after a year or so........
Though it mightn't be that good for gaming, it'd be perfect for everything else and will last you at least 3+ years depending on your expectations.

For gaming, either use the desktop or get a console.
Would you really be needing a console if you've got a decent gaming desktop...?

Buy a laptop with it's focus on battery life and productivity, then buy a ps3 later. Don't go gaming laptop. I bought a mid range gaming laptop with an 8600GT and I regret it. I have to lower detail to get acceptable framerates, and when it's off the mains, battery life is terrible compared to a lappy with integrated.

And I say PS3 as the console because it is so versatile. Makes a great BD and network media player. Plus, online is free.

@John Phoenix - all that proves is that you are not sensitive to low framerates. I am, and the 4200 is NOT capable of decent gaming for me on modern games. He should stick to games on the desktop, and stick to productivity on the laptop. That would be his cheapest solution.
Wow great responses guys :toast: (and also thanks a lot to the one i did not quote). This is just the type of thread i needed.

I think based on the quotes above; the smartest thing to do is get a decent laptop (not meant for gaming, but maybe with something for those lan games like quake or unreal tournament, which i am an avid fan of) and then buy a PS3 myself later on when and if im able to get a job during college.

I still have some decision making to go but i think i have the basis for it down. Thanks a lot TPU :rockout:

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
In Uni right now mate. Progressing onto second year of Biomedical Science, i'm 22 and I'm a student who uses paper because it's so much easier than going:

"hold on hold on, lemme just call up <insert program> so i can type all that crap up"

Instead I go:

"cool, yea got that" then on the way home I think about it and write it all up on this here desktop.

i have to dissagree im in my second year at uni doing music tech and audio systems and if i had a laptop it would help so much the amount of writing i have to do means by the end of my two hour lectures i cannot evenread it, Plus when we have the audio programming being able to load up visual studio and write the programmes as were learning about different things is so much easier then doing it at home when ive forgotten about certain thngs. Plus it makes organising and searching for certain notes allot easier for assignments. I gues it depends on the person and what course your doing, mine is a very computer based course so having alaptop to use the programmes were learning about, like nuendo, cubase, visual studio etc whilst the lecturer is talking about them is allot better for me rather then 4 hours latter back at the flat

Status
Not open for further replies.