1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop overclocking adventures

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by theonetruewill, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Nauzhror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Raising the GPU Core to 875, or the VRAM to 1175 caused artifacting, and there wasn't a substantial gain from 825 to 850 or 1125 to 1150 either so went with 825/1125 (stock was 700/1000) there to play it safe. CPU Though I imagine can go higher, used setfsb, but only have the shareware version at the moment, so was only able to raise 00h, 10h isn't editable without paying, but raising 00h from 29 to 41 raised the base clock rate from 1600 mhz to 1755 mhz so far and appears plenty stable.

2. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I've been in your same situation with my GO 7950GTX, going any higher will just be a waste of time if it doesn't even give benchmark improvements. As for SetFSB, I did donate for it to try overclocking my mobile i5s, didn't work but I still didn't regret donating towards it.

What I did when I was at the point of max OC on my laptops, was bring SPDtool in the mix and tweak my ram modules. It would be safe to test on 1 chip other than 2 (if you have 2), so if the system becomes unbootable, you put the "untouched" stick in and both chips use its values since it would be at lower clocks/timings.

3. Nauzhror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, possible to overclock 1066 mhz DDR3 to 1333 mhz, or is SPDTool just meant for altering timings and not the actual speed of the RAM?
    EDIT: Doesn't seem to work on my motherboard anyway so moot questions it seems.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. vladmire New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'll try this on my acer 4738zg^^ lol. i hope it'll work. still, my gpu temp is whooping 92deg using furmark max temp T_T

5. pokazene_maslo

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I have HP nw8240 with ICS954215AG and none of the listed programs supports this clock generator. Any advice what to do? SoftFSB 1.7 supports PLL inport. Does anyone knows how to create my own pll inport file?

6. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Try contacting the developer of SetFSB, I'm sure he'll look into it.

7. pokazene_maslo

Thanks Received:
    He refused even to talk to me prior to payment. So I don't know even if this clock generator support software control via system management bus. And I'm not comfortable about buying license key for software that is useless for me.

8. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    He takes time even to process the payments themselves, so I wouldn't be too sure he won't answer if he takes his time. About SoftFSB, I have no idea...it seems like an old tool, I haven't even heard of it. Hopefully someone around here has and maybe can give you some assistance.

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this thread needs updating for modern hardware and software.

10. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    We'll need assistance with that, dear moderator.

11. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I would love to lower the voltage on my i3. Does anyone have any idea what program I could use?

12. Shadow565 New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried the programs on the first page?

Anyone got any good programs or limits for OCing a Compaq C700 Celeron 550 Dual-Core 2.00Ghz?

Planning on going upto 2.10 for both cores hopefully not causing any problems as the inbuilt cooling is actually quite good on it.

13. hinchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    help?

can someone help me please?

Im trying to overclock my toshiba satellite c660-13r, but cant find my pll listed in any of the OC softwares.

my pll is RTM890N-631-GRT :shadedshu

14. hinchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    i imagine specs would help:

type : Intel® Celeron® Processor 925
    clock speed : 2.30 GHz
    Front Side Bus : 800 MHz
    2nd level cache : 1 MB

15. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know why my laptop doesn't boot at room temp but when I blow hot air in the vents via a blow dryer it boots up?

Otherwise I get a CPU is Malfunctioning error via the LED lights.

Its so odd, I opened it up and put thermal paste but still have the same issues. Its a HP DV4.

16. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    I'm just starting the process of learning how to overclock my Laptop (ASUS G60jx). I was reading the first post here, and trying to select the program to use for overclocking my CPU and GPU, but most of the links in the first thread don't work and have not been updating.

Anyone mind filling me in on the more current recommended programs? I did a site search, but I figured I'd ask here to insure I get the current recommended programs that work best for laptops. Thanks in advance!

17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if its AMD, try K10stat. i dont know anything about intel laptop OCing.

18. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response, I've got an Intel though.

19. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Hi, Staxed, for the cpu SetFSB lists it as supported. http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

AFAIK in the program settings, you don't have to choose a PPL number per se as it displays the laptop name.

For the GPU I'd try MSI's Afterburner at first. You might need a modified GPU driver as the clocks might be locked. If all else fails you can attempt to bios mod the GPU, it's the road I had to take in order to be able to upgrade my drivers.

Good luck.