1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop overheating issues

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Dec 5, 2009.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I have one of those new macbook pros aluminum bodies and I have also a windows 7 partition, and my laptop freezes at 100 degrees so I set it to 120 to then freeze.....so I was wondering for a laptop....how hot is 120? what will happen to my laptop if I keep the threshold or whatever at 120 when I play games?

2. cgoodman381

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know 85-95c is getting pretty hott for a laptop, or any system... 120 is like... scorching :p

Make sure when your using your laptop your now covering up the bottom fans. Like if your using it on a pillow or blankets or something. hth

3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    no im using it on a desk, so would I be fine? would anything happen if it gets to like 100 and stays there or 95? computer slowly dies?

4. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    your laptop should automatically shut it self down so it can cool down, that is a bit too hot my laptop goes about 80C max in temp,you tried blowing out some dust or a cooling pad?

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What temperature does it say when you turn on your pc from cold? It might be a faulty temp sensor.

6. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    well says 70 and 71 degrees Celsius real temp 3.40

7. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    For cooling try elevaitng it with a book or two at the back so you allow air to flow underneath.

8. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are those core temps? Is there even a laptop cpu with a TJmax that high?

Anyways how old is this laptop? Mine was overheating a while back as I opened it up and pulled out a ball of dust, oiled up the fan bearing, and reseated the heatsink with some MX-2. Works like new now.

9. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    agreed, if its got some age id open it up and give it a good cleaning, might be all it needs.

10. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I got my macbook pro on march, and I've noticed once I start playing a game or anything my fans dont even move they stay the same speed I could use a good fan controller program to fix it. and i would open it but I am terrified honestly (keep in mind im using windows 7 and not my mac os

I did and I think my fans aren't moving in the back

11. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    there's your problem right there, laptops dont have much airflow to speak of, and with no fans its just a nutsack warmer!

12. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    well I tried a LOT of fan programs and still nothing Im actually listening to my fans are on high right now and my temps are still the same. games I get like 95-98 degrees, laptop cooler I guess?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand why don't they relay the heat to entire outside metal body in laptops that use metalic casing. Entire casing could act as a huge heatsink. I got this idea from my Aspire One where ICH could be cooled by contacting keyboard aluminum plate that covers almost entire upper part of the netbook. Sure entire keyboard would be slightly warm, but i bet the ICH would be also cooled nicely. But now, there is 2-3mm space between ICH chip and keyboard plate, causing heat to trap in a space between. We all know air isn't a good heat conductor...

14. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    I'd suggest getting Apple to replace it, that laptop will crash and burn pretty soon if you keep running it at those temps. A laptop cooler wont do much, I believe, because it just blows cool air at the bottom of the laptops, and IIRC, macbooks don't have any air vents on the bottom of the body, so it wont be doing much at all.

15. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does this only happen in windows 7? If so it sounds like you don't have the correct chipset drivers. I don't know anything about macs and their bios so I can't really help you there. With my laptop when I install Linux the same thing happens, the fan dosen't work and my laptopgets dangerously hot.

16. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Yeah only on windows 7 I dont recall it ever happening when I was using windows xp