• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Power adapter issue

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
I have a Dell xps m140 (about 3.5 years old) that has been having power issues. The jack was loose and the computer wouldn't recognize the power adapter, which led to the unfortunate circumstance of the battery being unable to charge and thus requiring constant power. From what I read on the webz this isn't really at all uncommon w/ the dells, and the most apparent problem was the dc power jack.

So I went ahead and replaced that and although now at least the plug is a secure fit and thus I don't have to worry about it coming loose all the time, it still won't recognize or charge the battery. This is still the stock dell power adapter. I'm now thinking maybe the power adapter or battery being the issue, but both really seem rather strange for the symptoms (I am greeted upon POST by a message indicating the power adapter is not recognized). Any similar experiences or ideas?

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
have you tried removing the battery pack out of your laptop and leave the power adaptor connected? If the laptop turns on without the battery pack and the power plugged then it could be the battery not recongnising it or like you said could be the adaptor

FemTech

I have a Dell xps m140 (about 3.5 years old) that has been having power issues. The jack was loose and the computer wouldn't recognize the power adapter, which led to the unfortunate circumstance of the battery being unable to charge and thus requiring constant power. From what I read on the webz this isn't really at all uncommon w/ the dells, and the most apparent problem was the dc power jack.

So I went ahead and replaced that and although now at least the plug is a secure fit and thus I don't have to worry about it coming loose all the time, it still won't recognize or charge the battery. This is still the stock dell power adapter. I'm now thinking maybe the power adapter or battery being the issue, but both really seem rather strange for the symptoms (I am greeted upon POST by a message indicating the power adapter is not recognized). Any similar experiences or ideas?

Sounds like you may have an issue with a solder connection as well on the board... Ebay has lots of power jacks for all laptops if so...

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Sounds like you may have an issue with a solder connection as well on the board... Ebay has lots of power jacks for all laptops if so...

That's what I fixed. Soldered on a new jack. I'm gonna get a new ac adapter and see if that remedies it.