1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Search Help, Please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Yukikaze, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    My g/f wants to get herself a new laptop and I'm trying to help her out, but there's a lot of ground to cover, so if people could help me out, I'd be grateful. She has the following list of requirements:
    1) Weight: < 2kg.
    2) Keyboard: With normal-sized arrow buttons (not the half-sized arrow keys often used nowdays).
    3) Screen size: ~15"
    4) Price: < 1,000USD (That's an estimate, since it will be most likely bought locally and thus cost more, but that's a good ballpark figure).

I'd add to this list:
    5) 1080p screen if possible.
    6) USB3.0 is a must (not likely any new machines lack it, but just to emphasize).

She says it is likely impossible to find a machine that would do all of the above. Time to prove her wrong, TPU! :toast:
  2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Yukikaze says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lenovo U410 FTW Everything up there but 1080P and a great price on the 'egg. Honestly, I have had this laptop for a few months now and it is pretty rock solid. The SSD is fantastic and it weighs nothing. The only downside really is the optimus nVidia 610m GT and the WiFi. However, I have found that overclocking the card from about 800 mhz to about 1.2 Ghz really breaths new life into it. I have installed a Killer n-1202 and it works great. You will have to whitelist the bios to use the card but I can provide a link to get the bios files to flash over. I get asked all the time why my Macbook looks so funny, or how did I take the Apple logo off of the front :laugh:
    Yukikaze says thanks.
  4. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. The Inspiron 15z looks pretty much like what she's looking for. Problem is that there are no 15z for sale over here, only the 14z is available for now (and that one doesn't meet the keyboard requirements since it has the crappy half-sized arrow keys). Oh well, I guess we'll just wait a bit till they show up in retail.

Ordering direct from Dell or buying from Newegg is not an option over here. Lenovo laptops are only sold with 1yr warranty here, as well, which means they're out of the question...

Keep 'em coming guys, thanks.
  6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Okay. Update. I knew I forgot SOMETHING. She wants a matte (anti-glare) screen as well, which rules out the Inspiron 15z...

More ideas guys?
  7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You are going to struggle pretty hard if you want a matte screen. Maybe get one of the matte filters and apply it herself?
  8. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. Been giving that thought.

I actually found matte display ultrabooks (by Samsung and Fujitsu to name a couple) a plenty, but they all lack normal sized arrow keys...

Maybe she was right :laugh:
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The hardest part will be the arrow keys. I think the Zenbook UX32VD have all that, apart from the arrows. The only other one I can find is the Sony Vaio vpc-se2n1e and VPC-SE2V9E.

So yeah the arrows are the hardest part nowadays.
  10. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    The Samsung 9 series is also perfect, except for the keyboard...

Vaios are probably well out of the price range, especially since they are totally friggin' overpriced here :(
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Really? Those Vaios are the cheapest of what I found here. €799 - €899.
  12. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    It seems like these simply don't exist here and I was basing my pricing info off the Vaios that do exist here....all of which are around the Macbooks for pricing territory :shadedshu
  13. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Update:
    Lenovo U510 is too heavy. Lenovo U410 doesn't exist here. We even looked into importing one from the US, but the International Warranty Service by Lenovo doesn't cover the IdeaPad line in Israel, so if we were to get it, then it would have no warranty over here.

The Fujitsu U772 is both expensive (but bearably so) and has an absolutely atrocious keyboard.

Nothing else has a matte display.

Jeez.