1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop service time - Little mod.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by itsakjt, Jan 28, 2013.

1. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    This will alleviate the problem, but will not solve it completely, as a small amount of dust will always remain in the system, and will come back into the alu-fins of the heatsink. Also, make absolutely sure that you block the fan from spinning as you're blowing air into the fins, especially so when using high-speed/highly pressurized air. You wouldn't want to damage the fan's bearings and/or force the oil out of it (if it's a sleeve/rifle/hysint/hydrodynamic bearing). You could use an unbent paperclip or something similar to push through the ventilation openings under the fan to stop it from moving.

It may, but only if it's flow is focused tightly enough, with a nozzle or something. Otherwise, it simply won't have enough dynamic pressure to be effective.
    itsakjt says thanks.
  2. Baum

Thanks Received:
    Nice mod, next time use superglue...

Well just buy some compressed air with a nossle and block the stupid fan while you run air though it.
    and no a stupid vacuum cleaner is not sufficient, even if you own a 750€+ Miele vacuum like i do because of beeing alergic to dust.

i just saw your choice of tim in another thread.. are you crazy?
    use arctic silver with caution or GELID GC-Extreme, apply it with some card and tape the area around on the cooler (not on the mainboard)

PS: haha i had to check my temps on my old ancient laptop, 60mm single fan, core2duo t7200 + Ati X1900 in a 15" = 42°C while idle, 78°C while gaming.. time to coock something on it
  3. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    But as far as the reviews are concerned, Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 is much better than the Arctic Silver. I don't know about the other one though. Check it and let me know again.