1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Shutdown Problem (HP dv2750ea)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twicksisted, Sep 10, 2008.

1. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I have a problem with my laptop... and cant figure this out myself. Basically it started today where when I try and shutdown the computer Windows exits and I get a black screen but all the lights and fans are still on... after leaving it for a few hours to no result I havwe to hold down the power button to get it to switch off.

I initially thought that windows had'nt shut down correctly so I went into the bios and reset everything to default and did a save / exit (which does a restart)... and same thing.. black screen, lights and computer on but nothing happening.

So basically i now know that the problem isnt to do with windows as it will do the same thing on a bios exit... but I cant think of anything else as the only option i have in this bios are set the date & time...

Heres some more detailled specs on this lappie:
    Any Ideas here... as I have googled and havent found anyone with a similar issue on a lappie like mine.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are using Vista, it sets shutdown to sleep or standby.

3. Dark_Webster New Member

Thanks Received:
    You must click on the arrow beside the supposed shutdown button and then click shutdown.

EDIT: Soz, didn't noticed you have Vista on your main rig.

4. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    no its not an operating system problem.... it wont shutdown out of windows or even out of the bios... it will keep going with a black screen... so its not a vista thing

5. Dark_Webster New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you say it can boot, but can't shutdown or restart properly?

6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Yes... thats correct.... It starts and runs fine... but if you go to restart or shutdown, it will exit what its doing, then go to a black screen and not actually switch off... and just sit with all the lights and fans on till I hard reset it.

At first i thought it was a windows issue, so I thought Id check if it could restart without windows... so I went into the bios and reset defauts... then did a save and exit which does a restart and same thing happened... this proves to me that its not a windows issue.

must be hardware :(