1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop w/ 8600M GT artifacting on Vista desktop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FatForester, Aug 28, 2007.

1. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I got my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop last week. Only problem is, it artifacts on Vista. I've installed XP, and all is fine and dandy there, but whenever I try to move a window or something in Vista w/ Aero turned on, a bunch of corruption comes on the screen. I've updated drivers from laptopvideo2go, and updated Vista and DirectX. I know it can't be a true hardware issue, because everything works in XP. Also, occasionally when I boot up, I get past POST and I can choose Windows, but the screen goes black right before Windows should actually begin loading. I honestly have no idea what the exact problem is, because it is fairly random. I included a picture of the artifacting also.

-I've unsuccessfully tried contacting Dell, but all they could do was tell me "Dell doesn't support dual-partitions. That has to be your problem." When I told them again and again, that it happened OUT OF THE BOX. All Customer Service does is just treat you like an idiot. Shoulda known...

Attached Files:

2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Didn't you have a previous thread about this? Anyways, try running ati tool in xp and see if it'll artifact. If it does...RMA time. Otherwise..if you want Vista, RMA it, or if you don't...keep it. Personally I'd RMA it.

3. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmmmm

i nice riddle i think you have the vista32orx64.exe virus:roll:

try to download drivers from the nvidia site or the dell check for temps in your card and clocks . then try re install win me 2..oopss sorry vista

question have you install or use any overclock utility?

4. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I posted in a thread regarding something similar and said what was going on with mine. So that's probably what you're thinking about. I've spent the last week hunting down online if anyone else has had this problem, and it seems like I am the only one.

I've installed atitool in Vista, but not XP. It's kinda funny but very frustrating, because in Vista atitool runs just great, and when I start up the artifact scanner EVERYTHING starts corrupting, but atitool keeps on chugging as if nothing is wrong. Since XP works with no problems, and then Vista and atitool are going crazy, it's hard to isolate the problem. I'm about to reinstall XP and Vista, but with Vista I'm going to use an OEM copy instead of the Dell copy. I dunno if it'll make a difference however. :banghead:

5. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    reset any overclock you do and try again

6. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't overclocked and kept it. I oc'd once just to see if it was a power issue that was making Vista screw up. But, that was wrong. Anyway, I just got done doing atitool and scanned for artifacts for 2 minutes... and it was crystal clear. If this OEM Vista doesn't do anything different, I sadly think an RMA might be in order, unless if some golden solution comes out of nowhere :laugh:

7. key001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you send your laptop back to dell or found a solution?
    My 1520 with 8600M GT exhibits a similar behavior like yours, sometimes it has artifacts, sometimes it crashes.

8. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    strange prob you have there man..

Does the laptop artifact with any other type of grafix intesive program like 3dmark.....

I wouldn't completely trust the artifact scanner on ati tool everytime. Try another app...

If you do reinstall windows just load vista by itself first and see if it still does it then.

9. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    RMA. Dont ask for anything, ring up dell and say your system was dead out of the box, dont bother with emails.

This is a response i got from sapphire after I said my 9550 was artifacting at stock

"we do not have any bios updates for the 9600PRO"

WTF?

I wouldnt expect this kind of response from dell though...

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. RMA it, it sounds like a hardware issue.

11. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    gotta love dell ;)

12. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    The artifacting actually quit for a while, but now it's come back. It's pretty annoying, and I'm afraid now it's just gonna get worse and worse. However, it's never crashed on me. Sometimes when I reboot the video doesn't kick in for some reason tho. Anyway, I'm gonna call up Dell today, so explaining my situation is going to be an experience. Any tips on dealing with their customer service?

Yea, I took the results from atitool with a grain of salt considering its not really supporting Vista yet. Regarding Vista installs, when I got the laptop out of the box, it artifacted in EVERYTHING. I've now tried out XP and it doesn't artifact in anything, and Vista doesn't artifact in games. Games are actually AMAZING. This 8600M GT is pretty slick when it comes to gaming. Quake Wars, CSS, and HL2 all work beautifully, which has been the main reason I've kept from sending this back... because yea, you'd think if it artifacted on the desktop it'd definitely artifact in games.

O yea, I've used the OEM and Dell Vista versions and both do the same thing. And for other Vista users out there, I downloaded the beta SP1 just for kicks to see if it'd fix anything. It didn't fix my video issues, but everything in general is more efficient and the system boots considerably faster than it did without SP1. Considering I'm using a beta from 2-ish weeks ago, that's a pretty good sign!