1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop with broken screen How much?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eric_On_Web, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wanna buy a laptop with a broken screen jut for net surfing and older games likes battlefield 2 ans call od duty 1 and remove the screen to plug it right onto external screen. What should i get and how much ? Instead of buying a full tower i would like to get this type of laptop jsut to save space. thx

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    My cousin just broke his laptop screen and uses it as a Desktop now. Its an HP DV6000 series with Vista.

I can get more detail if you are interested and ask him what he thinks?

3. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    By broken screen you mean laptops with detachable screen right? I was like 'Why broken screen when you can get a lot of second hand laptops with screens working for possibly same price?'

4. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like suggestions and look in local stores. I dont wanna buy a laptop from someone online. Sorry. But could be a good idea if you asked him about the performance on older games. Gonna make a list ofall laptops people suggest me.

Remove the screen for space purpose here its small desk and if the screen is opened it will hide my 22 inches lcd

5. whitrzac New Member

Thanks Received:
    the problem is that most laptops use some sort of intell integrated video that will have a hard time with anything...

And anything the has a decent enough video card is still worth $500+ even with a broken screen...

also, Nvidia had a few horrible generations of cards with crappy solder joints/etc. Everything from the 7900-9800 cards were affected and will fail.

Another thing, laptop video cards preform worst than their desktop counterparts. You will need at least an 8600m to play BF2 with decent FPS.

Honestly, the best bang/buck laptop out there is the Alienware M11x R1 from dell outlet. 15-30% off coupons come out at least every other week so it can be bought for under $500...

6. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    read the title and edit what you wrote. Di I say that i wanted a brand new laptop ?

7. whitrzac New Member

Thanks Received:
    your looking at $500-$600 still...

don't be an ass about it...

8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    if i were you i'd get a small HTPC style case and buy some second hand parts, like an old 775mobo, an E7xxx cpu and a 4850 ro the likes. It'd be cheaper, be able to run games better, still be small, and you could upgrade (some things) in the future.

9. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok never mind please close this thread.