1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Large Hard drive setups

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Ahhzz, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    So, getting prepared for the new boxes I'm building, and I'm running up against the same question I do when we build a server in the office: Large drives with no partitions, or small OS partition and large data partition, or small fast system drive, with large data drives separate? So, that's the question here :) Do I stick with a smaller 300Gb Raptor, and a couple of larger 1Tb Spinpoints, or go straight for the Spinpoints, and partition for OS/Data, or just leave it alone. I've been doing this stuff for years, and still can't give a straight answer as to the best way to handle it. Anyone got a good answer? Thanks :toast:
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I keep OS separate on servers so that backing up the data is easier. Also, if there is a failure on the OS drive, I know the data is still safe.

Speed really doesn't matter--capacity does (unless you're running large databases or something of the sort).

I only do one (or less, via RAID) partition per physical drive.
    Mindweaver and Ahhzz say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I probably need to be a bit clearer: The two boxes I'm building will be for gaming, not servers ;) So, I am a bit concerned about speed, trying to decide whether to mess with creating a "D:/Program Files" on a separate drive. I will be making a hidden system restore partition with Seagate's recovery software, so I can restore the System whenever I want, so I'm really inclined to at least partition out the system, and possibly the second drive route....
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    imo the best answer depends on money.

the os drive should ALWAYS be separate. if feasible, it should be an ssd. if ssd is too much, a fast platter drive will do.
    (additional) partitioning should only be done when necessary for some other reason, it is a detriment not a performance enhancement.
    Mindweaver and Ahhzz say thanks.
  5. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Won't be going the SSD route at this point. I am seriously considering the Raptor for a primary drive, tho....
  6. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, I run;

120GB SSD C: for OS
    120GB SSD D: for Current Games
    500GB Vrap E: for media/non-current games
    And I map a network drive to my Home Server for storage. Works aaamazing. Not to mention isolating the OS to one drive makes formatting and re-installing ezmode. I just copy off a whole image of the C: to my NAS, formatt, re-install. And cherry pick game saves and w/e from the image and eventually delete it.
    digibucc says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I never waste my time on trying to separate programs on a separate drive (user data is going to end up under C:\Users anyway). The only exception for that would be if the OS was on an SSD in order to reduce the number of writes.

Games don't need fast hard drives. The only benefit is saving some time when loading but at an enormous price to pay.

A 10k RPM drive for the OS is a happy medium. Not insanely expensive but still quick for copious amounts of capacity.
    digibucc, Ahhzz and Mindweaver say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on how redundant or how fast you want your array. Will you be using a Hardware RAID or Software RAID? I usually put everything on the array. I partition 60gb to 80gb for the OS and the rest on another partition for security and easy backups.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Mostly, the machines will not be storing critical data. I've got a server and a NAS for storage and backup. The two new boxes will be for gaming, some photo editing, worksheet and word processing, accounting, minor office type stuff for our personal needs, but mainly the gaming :). The Seagate software will provide me the backup for the system for a restore. Everything else is either backed up elsewhere, or just not that critical, no matter how much I might scream if I lose my Skyrim saves heheh