1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Large hard drive transfers bring the system to a crawl

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fleck, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got all the proper/latest drivers for the system installed. Using PATA drives, DMA on, high performance mode on. What could it be, an awful PATA controller on the cheap motherboard? The single core A64 3800+ didn't behave like this when large file copy operations were underway.
  2. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do you mean 'bring the system to a crawl'?

if the transfers run slower than expected and take forever, then you could have a bad IDE cable. try swapping them out with a different one or get a shielded cable. just like anything else in your entire computer, if a data transmit fails (i.e. due to corruption of data) then the data is re-transmitted. that would cause a big slow-down of the transfer.
  3. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's just like full resources are going to the file copying and everything else has no priority whatsoever so it takes several long seconds to wait for other things to process, it doesn't seem right. I'll try my old IDE cable a little bit later to see.
  4. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    pata is slow.

i had to switch to a pata last night so i could RMA a drive and FRICK! its DOG SLOW.

it also means the drive has bad sectors. drive could be failing
  5. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno, I've been kicking hardware around since dial-up BBSes were cool and AOL 1.5 didn't have WWW access, and I don't think they're dying. They've been recently checked and they don't do any the usual stuff that drives with bad sectors do. They're just as fast or faster than they were in general, but when a big transfer operation gets underway I can say bye bye to my multitasking.
  6. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know what I'm gonna turn off all the services that I had turned off on my previous Vista install and see if it helps. All that indexing and prefetching can go suck it.
  7. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those should help a bit :) Have you got SP1? there was an issue with file transfers taking forever before it.

Defrag, 2GB more mem, new chipset driver will help too. If you are doing partition to partition transfers, they'll be slow always. If you are brave enough to do more than one file transfer at a time, it's crawl always.

Do a HD Tach run, that should give an idea if everything is working fine.
  8. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Download the diagnostics software from the manufacturer to see if the drive is OK.