1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

lcd monitors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by keakar, Jun 7, 2007.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    what does SIPS and TN stand for?

what is the difference between a TN panel and a SIPS panel?

2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    TN Panel: The TN panel is the cheapest panel to produce and is the one most LCD manufacturers use due to this. These panels have the fastest reponse time, however, they produce the worst color and the color will slightly change when you move up or down / left to right. They also have limited viewing angles.

IPS Panel: An IPS is one of the best panels available for an LCD. These panels offer very good viewing angles and color. However, these cost much more than the TN panel and have higher response times.

MVA Panel: This panel is more of a hybrid between a TN and IPS panel. These panels offer a big viewing angle and color (IPS panel is still better in these departments) with a fast response time. However, these panels cost more than the TN panel, but less than an IPS panel.

PVA Panel: Very similar to the MVA panel. However, these panels offer much higher contrast ratios when compared to the MVA panel.

4. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the exposure to my thread.
    Its not easy to get a lot of exposure :)

Pretty much it comes down to this, the SIPS panel offers the best picture but is more expense.
    TN panels are the cheapest and offer a lesser quality picture.

What LCDs are you looking at?

5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well i just started looking to upgrade from my samsung 710n 17" lcd to a 19 or 20" lcd. i heard the 22" monitors are too taxing on video cards and 19 or 20's were better.

i bought my 710n by looking at reviews and got lucky as it has been great color and quality and it had 600:1 contrast with 160/160 viewing angle.

i put it up higher (12") to make room on the desk (sitting up straight my nose is centered in the middle of the screen) but now it is very dark like night time because of the viewing angle but if i stand up it has a clear and bright picture.

i wanted to learn the differences that matter so i know what i'm looking at before i actually start my search. all i really know is you want the highest contrast you can get with the highest viewing angles.

6. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have the $$ go 1080p LCD TV and DVI-HDMI adapter. I don't regret dropping ~$1000 on a beautiful 37" LCD. First person shooters are AMAZING (not to mention WoW, C&C, etc)

7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    lol my god man the whole desk is only 36"x48" i would go blind

how does a tv work as a monitor?

i heard a tv doesn't use the video card to run because it has it's own system of generating images, is this BS or is there something to what i heard? if you don't have a really good video card, is a tv better than a monitor?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007