1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LCD TV Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Zaspera, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E422VLE-42-Inch-120Hz-Internet/dp/B0088024V2. It's really my first real tv purchase and I have a dumb question. What is the best way to clean the screen? In the past, I've used a Swiffer cloth to gently wipe the screen or at times, I've used a bit of windex on a paper towel. I'm sure both of these are the wrong way, so I ask for your help. Thanks.

Another off-topic question. The tv has USB ports. Can I put a USB thumb drive in it and play a movie right from there? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks again.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you try? My older Samsung plays from external HDD so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a soft cloth dampened in filtered or distilled water, wipe it down, then use another dry soft cloth to finish it up. I've done this since LCD monitors came to market and they remain perfect.
  4. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like a microfiber cloth that I use to clean my glasses? I have lots of those if so!
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a lint-free cotton dish towel. Microfiber will work.
    Zaspera says thanks.
  6. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to try when I get home. Just wasn't sure if it only played audio files or something.
  7. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I just use a spray bottle of water (non-distilled) to dampen a soft cloth and gently clean the screen.
    The cloth I use came with my Samsung LCD monitor in '08.
  8. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    microfiber works really well. Personally I use 50% Isopropyl alcohol for really dirty screens, I know that's a little extreme, but I've done alot of screens and never had it damage one. Distilled water (maybe a few drops of dish soap in the bottle) to be safe.
    Also sorry no usb video support; see the specs at:
    http://store.vizio.com/lcd-hdtvs/e422vle.html
    Multimedia Support via USB
    Music: Yes
    Photo: Yes
    Video: No
    DLNA: No
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    damp microfiber is good after that wipe with dry cloth and done
    yeah you can run movie from flashdisk, but some tv can read only some type, like avi, divx
    so i guess better check your manual first
  10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This probably isn't the best way to do it, but I've gotten rid of stubborn stains by wetting some tissue paper and then putting Fairy Liquid on it and wiping the screen.

You get a big soapy smudge doing this, but it's easily wiped off with another tissue paper. Using one of those microfiber cloths is probably better. Less chance of scratching and leaving lint.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Hell no damage is not always visual to the eye, especially if the screen has a gloss finish. As erocker said distilled water and a lint free 100% cotton cloth that all so feels really soft to touch. make sure it has no added crap to it as some company's like Nestle add minerals.

For suborn dirt dap the slight damp cloth on the dirty part and wait a few as it will loosen.
  12. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it matter which way I clean it? Circle, up down, side to side? Thanks for the help guys.
  13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I have used Windex + paper towel for 8 years (since 2005) and have had no issue, and the screen is squeaky clean.

I could care less about peoples opinions of the wrong way of doing things, Ill gladly follow my personal experience.