1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Leak Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kiddagoat, Jun 10, 2011.

1. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I have finally got my LCS together. I was at work tonight when I finished assembling it. I started the internal leak test.

I hooked up my PSU to all the components but used a AC to 12V Molex to power the pump to start my test. After about 20-25 mins I went to lift my reservoir and mount it into the proper place. I heard a hiss and then a small slow leak started near the reservoir along the seal of the fitting and reservoir.

I turned off the pump and cleaned up the dripping and dried off the fitting. I tightened it down and started the pump again. After about 20-25 mins there wasn't a leak and I tightened down the reservoir in the proper place.

Before leaving work I put about a 1/2 inch stack of shop towels under where the previous leak had been.

Now, given the experience of the community, should I be okay?? I am letting it run for 24 hours but I hope it will be good for at least 12 hours until I get back into work.

I am thinking 2 things might happen:

1. All is well. No leaks, no drips, no nothing.

2. Some of the fluid is dripped out again and I burned my pump up.

Thoughts/comments??

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    personally i would prepare for worse case, maybe its better put some sealer on that, just to make sure it wont leak

kiddagoat says thanks.
  3. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Just make sure the tubing is not pulling on the fitting of the reservoir and causing it to leak.

If it wasn't leaking after 25mins you should be OK

kiddagoat says thanks.
  4. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    yeah.. 20 - 25 minutes of no drips, your fine. Open the res top to bleed micro bubbles.

kiddagoat says thanks.
  5. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I got back into work today and there not any more leaking. I felt around all the barbs and fittings and everything is dry.

After about 13 hours I switched the power over to my PSU and started the machine. Nothing is wrong so far and I LOVE THE SILENCE. I hear the fans but only if I really pay attention to it.

I was doing some reading and some people like to do what they call a heat test. I suppose the premise of this is to heat the blocks up in such a fashion that it will cause the o-rings to soften/loosen on the blocks and this will check for a good fit/mounting???

I ran IntelBurnTest on my CPU for about an hour and a half, no problems. Max temp is around 60C and once my IC Diamond sets in, I am sure it will drop a bit more.

Running Unigine on a loop to do the same to my Video Cards and so far, they aren't getting above 40C according to GPU-Z.

I am going to continue letting it run while I am at work and hopefully if all continues to be well, I will have completed my first LCS.

I will try to get some pics up for the community.

6. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you cooling your CPU and both GPU's with a single loop? What's your RAD setup? Just curious about those temps. CPU @ 60c? seems high in comparison to the GPU temps. 60c is definitely not "high" but some might consider it pretty high for custom water.

7. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Everything is in a single loop. I have my CPU going into a 120mm Swiftech Radiator and then down into my GPUs. GPUs are in a parallel flow link with an EK FC Dual 3 Slot Bridge. The GPUs are going into a 360mm Swiftech Radiator.

I get the 60c while running IntelBurnTest and my CPU is OC'd to 4.0Ghz with a slight Voltage bump. When gaming, I don't see it getting anywhere close to that.

8. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. I would just expect better temps than that.

With my 950 OC'd at 4.0GHz with hyperthreading at 1.35v core + 1.4v QPI I get mid to high 60's at load in prime 95 blend when my AC is running normally. It also seems weird that your GPU's are running so cold in comparison when the CPU is getting freshly cooled water from a 360 rad.

My 950 is being cooled by an H70, which I know is about equal to a top end air cooler. I just expected better temps from custom water. But then again I haven't done custom water in at least 4-5 years. So what do I know :\ . The last build I water cooled was a file server in our old, really hot data center as a test. I've been looking into a TEC based cooler like Digital Storm uses, but it just seems like way too much maintenance.

As long as your temps are at 60c at full load in burn test though you should be fine. What are your idle temps looking like, and what's your ambient air temp?

9. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Yeah his main problem is he is running SLI GT570's. Plus OC'd.

I hit around 60c as well. I'm running close to same setup and that extra GPU in the loop adds a good amount of heat. I personally jumped up 10C on my loop after adding another video card.

Only way to avoid this is to run GPUs on separate loop/get bigger rads/Get loud High CFM fans/or all the above.

I think the gtx570 runs about 40watts over the 5870. If those are OC'd as well you are taking a significant amount of heat to dissipate.

10. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received: